Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway if you have been reading my last threads you'll know what these are
20231217_014159.jpg

If you haven't been, let me catch you up.

I've been fighting a battle with coral-eating sea spiders for the past few months now and they are doing some considerable damage to my LPS, can never eradicate them from my system.

Caught this one tonight, one of the only ones I've caught alive. And now that I've got it, what should I do with it? Coral-eating sea spiders are a very rare occurrence in the hobby and barely if not completely undocumented in the scientific world. Any experiments I can try? Would love to hear you're suggestions!

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify I'm trying to keep this thing alive as long as possible (to get the most experiments and info out of them) but if I find more I might try and see what dips are effective

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'd test different types of in tank remedies first, then move on to dips. For example, I'd try a low dose of Melafix marine. It is a dip and can be used in tank with corals. Figure out the dosing amount per gallon of water and use the same percentage in a smaller container of water and see how it reacts.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say try to figure out what it eats, how to care for it, etc.; see if you can sex it then catch another of the opposite and see if you can breed them and rear the young.

If they eat something that would make them potentially useful for reefers (such as if they eat hydroids), then start farming them and offering them on the market.

If they eat things we don't want them eating (like coral), then - after figuring out how to rear the young (for science) - try to figure out what would eat them/how to safely get rid of them in a tank.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'd say try to figure out what it eats, how to care for it, etc.; see if you can sex it then catch another of the opposite and see if you can breed them and rear the young.

If they eat something that would make them potentially useful for reefers (such as if they eat hydroids), then start farming them and offering them on the market.

If they eat things we don't want them eating (like coral), then - after figuring out how to rear the young (for science) - try to figure out what would eat them/how to safely get rid of them in a tank.
First post mentions it's a coral eating spider and they can't eradicate them, so must be breeding at some level.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First post mentions it's a coral eating spider and they can't eradicate them, so must be breeding at some level.
True; some sea spiders are known to lay eggs in corals rather than to eat corals, though, so it may helpful to determine if they're actually eating the corals or if they're harming them in another way (such as by laying eggs in them).

Regardless, confirming if they eat corals would be really cool scientifically, and figuring out how to purposefully breed them would be cool regardless of what they eat. (It does seem they've been breeding in the tank, which gives us a good starting point for figuring out how to raise them on purpose.)

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True; some sea spiders are known to lay eggs in corals rather than to eat corals, though, so it may helpful to determine if they're actually eating the corals or if they're harming them in another way (such as by laying eggs in them).

Regardless, confirming if they eat corals would be really cool scientifically, and figuring out how to purposefully breed them would be cool regardless of what they eat. (It does seem they've been breeding in the tank, which gives us a good starting point for figuring out how to raise them on purpose.)
I do remember the very first individuals seemed to be carrying eggs so that's where I assume the rest came from, I haven't seen any other egg carrying individual since. If I can find another individual I'll add it to the same enclosure

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reminded me - if you get another that's the same sex, then you could see if they're territorial or aggressive to each other/how they interact generally.
If they are thar would be incredibly useful information, that way I would know if I'd only find one per coral.

Some other things I want to find out is:

Can they reproduce asexually.

Will they eat frozen food

Will they eat duncans

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are truly wanting to experiment with these spiders but you are having a hard time finding them alive, what about setting up a separate tank? About 5-20gal and put a rock that has some of the spiders in that small tank and they will breed in there and you can have an easier time finding them and pulling them out.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are truly wanting to experiment with these spiders but you are having a hard time finding them alive, what about setting up a separate tank? About 5-20gal and put a rock that has some of the spiders in that small tank and they will breed in there and you can have an easier time finding them and pulling them out.
There isn't really a rock with them as they soley live and feed on corals

They are also extremely small so I've been keeping this one in a small plastic container

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back