What to do with peppermint shrimp?

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought two peppermint shrimp to rid my tank of approximately 25 aptasia… and they got them all within 48 hours! (at least the visible ones)

Now… they are irritating the crap out of my purple stylo, and I enjoy the coral more than the shrimp.

I have caught one and have him floating around in a specimen container. The other one has proven more difficult to catch.

Once I catch the other one, I don’t necessarily want to get rid of them in case the aptasia returns. However, I don’t want them irritating my corals.

Thoughts on what I should do? I do not have a sump to put them in as my tank uses HOB filter. I do have a 10 gallon tank w softies, but there is a neon dottyback in there that would most likely make them a snack.

I could always return them to the store and if needed buy them back, they are only $15 but this option is a PITA.

Anything thoughts or comments are appreciated!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the shrimp very tiny or the dottyback very large? I wouldn't think it would try to eat a normal sized peppermint shrimp.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'd say sump them but depending on how you're setup they'll walk right into the pump

Maybe put an enclosure in a sump?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Really just to have them in case some aptasia comes back I can plop them back in.

I get it but you dont have sump and you dont want them in your main tank. So the only way would be to hang a fish "jail" on the back of one of your tanks to keep/feed them there.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it but you dont have sump and you dont want them in your main tank. So the only way would be to hang a fish "jail" on the back of one of your tanks to keep/feed them there.
I thought about this, but I think I’m going to put them into the 10 gallon even though the dottyback is there because they are larger than the fish. And hope for the best lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back