What to do with empty snail/crab shells?

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

What is the general rule concerning empty shells in your tank? Over the years, my tank has had quite a few snails and crabs meet their demise. I don't know why, but for some reason they all seem to accumulate in the back corner. (I have a 32 gallon BioCube). There are probably 20-25 shells of different sizes and varieties all piled up in the back right corner and there are others scattered all around as well. I still have plenty of snails and crabs alive to take care of CUC duties. I was just wondering if it is best practices to leave them in there or to remove them? I know that I should keep a few empty ones for when crabs need to move into a new shell for growth, but I have a LOT of empties.

Thoughts?

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it really just boils down to what aesthetic you like. I usually leave a few of various sizes for hermits to move into as the grow. But if my sand bed starts to look cluttered, I take most of them out.

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like you have spots where empty shells like to accumulate, I usually move them to the back behind the rock to provide empties for the crabs.

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like you have spots where empty shells like to accumulate, I usually move them to the back behind the rock to provide empties for the crabs.

Aren't the shells made of calcium? In my mine they may add to the calcium of the water column as they break down. I do the same as far as leaving them in for "a while" … when they "pile up" and become an eye shore I'll pull 'em out.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would Ron Burgundy do?
ron burgundy battle GIF

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never removed any snail shells from my tank, but if it gets to where there are too many I wouldn't hesitate to remove them. If possible you could also try to move them to a less obvious spot, assuming your tank has a less obvious spot, so that they're still accessible to the crabs.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back