What to expect from bioblocks!!

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manage a coral cultivation station and I'm trying to use maxspect bioblocks when seeding the aquariums.

The amount of block and balls are heavily overdimensioned in regards of the specs.

For example 2 pcs are supposed to treat 2850 L and I've got 4 pcs/2000 liter in the system.

Bacteria have been and are dosed every day.

7 Tangs and 4 wrassers on every 2000 liters - to support food for bacteria.

1 1/2 month after first dose I still measure some nitrite in the water.

Is this to expect and accept or am I doing something wrong?

How quick should the bioblocks be seeded and ready for action?

Is it safe to assume the anaerobic blocks are slow to kick in like the bioblocks or even slower?

Thankful for every answer.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is the end process. To take care of that you need algea , or dose carbon. That will feed the bacteria that eat nitrates. Fafugium, ats, plants, they remove your phosphates and nitrates . If you don't have room or can not afford. Just change your water. To remove them!

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio block will harbor the bacteria to remove nitrates but it needs a carbon source to feed the bacteria. Like suger, vodka, and plenty of products out the for it.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot bio balls , they are made out of corn put them in a reactor they will eat nitrates too. Especially if you dose bacteria.

OP
OP
D

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio block will harbor the bacteria to remove nitrates but it needs a carbon source to feed the bacteria. Like suger, vodka, and plenty of products out the for it.
You are describing other methods.

Assimilation needs carbon dosing - this to produce more bacteria to skim off.

Bio blocks are replica of live rocks so nothing are supposed to be skimmed off.

Bio blocks dont require carbon dosing since they are replacement for live rock. They will perhaps do better with carbon dosed but not necessary.

Denitrification (bio) blocks needs carbon source to produce the correct environment and to feed bacteria to use nitrate in there process - this is why every denitrification block has carbon plate integrated inside of them.

Do you have any knowledge about the seeding time? How long time does it normally take for the bioblock to get active.. Is it, to assume, it will take as long time as with ordinary live rock?

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 30 to 40 days that is how long it takes to cycle a tank . But then add bio load slowly.

Back