What to feed anemones and how often? Can someone help me revive this anemone?

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

This white anemone in my reef tank has started to close up over the past week almost all the way closed the last two days, I thought It wasn't going to survive. I have been busy lately doing other things and haven't had the time to feed as much as I normally do. It might be that and I have changed foods also, I have been feeding it tuna. I switched to sardines yesterday and it started to open up again. What are the foods that people have had the best growth with anemones? And what is a good feeding schedule for them?
Anemones.jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good feeding schedule is 2-3x time a week and a variety of meaty foods like different shrimp

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have had the best growth with shrimp. I was thinking about going back to feeding my anemones shrimp. Does anyone have any advice on what to feed a anemone until it fully opens up and can eat peices of shrimp? Some kind of food out of a syringe?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it does get back to good health try littleneck clams (from local grocery store)

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s still stressed you shouldn’t be feeding it as it will stress it out even more
Reef roids and mysis could be fed out of a syringe
Couldnt agree more. Trying to feed an already stressed nem is the worst thing to do in my experience. Just leave him be and hopefully he will turn around on his own if your doing your part husbandry wise. Once recovered you could occasionally offer small items as James M said. A healthy nem with good water quality and adequate lighting shouldnt really need feeding anyway.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

This white anemone in my reef tank has started to close up over the past week almost all the way closed the last two days, I thought It wasn't going to survive. I have been busy lately doing other things and haven't had the time to feed as much as I normally do. It might be that and I have changed foods also, I have been feeding it tuna. I switched to sardines yesterday and it started to open up again. What are the foods that people have had the best growth with anemones? And what is a good feeding schedule for them?
Anemones.jpg

In my experience I have now had two anemones close more and more with feeding one did not survive and I feel like the other might not survive, so today I will be purchasing some shrimp and feeding small feedings with this and I saw a video of a person feeding with mysis shrimp out of a syringe.

Here is the other one that has been closing up.

Me and another person were talking about how canned tuna and canned sardines might not for anemones be good because maybe the preservatives they use on them, so now I will be feeding my anemones shrimp only and mysis, and I hope this helps. I will post my experience with that. I hope I can save this anemone, and hopefully I will have only growth with my anemones from now on.

This was the purple anemone in the picture above ^ from the post I replied to, it has gotten smaller and smaller like the white one did.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only feed mine once a week. I use either fresh frozen shrimp or little neck clams. They literally bloom after clams.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Then I will try to purchase some raw shrimp.
Great I feed mine jumbo forzen raw fish cut into 1/5. You can feed your tank fellas all sorts of raw seafood - recommended to buy frozen or freeze it first to reduce foreign bacteria entering your system.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I fed my anemones mysis shrimp and pieces of shrimp, and they have all opened up, they don't all look like they did when I bought them, but its better than it was going before I fed them this so that is good. Hopefully they keep growing now. Here is a picture.
ReefTankAnemones.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back