What to grow in a Macro Algae reactor (besides Chaeto)?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm one of the countless reefers who can keep chaeto alive for a while and then have it suddenly melt and wreak havoc on my tank.

Has anyone else seen success with other macros in an algae reactor?

I'm running a fairly large one, and MBR 157.

Maybe Red Ogo Gracilaria (Gracilaria parvispora)?

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gutweed (Ulva intestinalis)?
They sell this macroalgae here:
https://addictivereefkeeping.com/pr...lettuce-marine-macro-algae-plant-pick-a-size/

By the way, what are your parameters?
Ohh that looks like a nice one!

Averaging 0.12 for Phos and .043 for Nitrates. I haven't tested in a couple of weeks. I failed to notice my Chaeto dying until a few of days ago when my display had a crazy uptick of nuisance algae. Will be testing again in the next couple of days.

Was also looking at

Gracilaria pacifica

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red ogo might work depending on your lighting, hard to say with your low nitrates though. I read it’s a fast grower with powerful lighting, I’m still figuring out how to grow it well. I just switched from chaeto to red ogo in my fuge about a month ago.

nathang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Codium always grows really well for me and stays a lot cleaner than chaeto

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh that looks like a nice one!

Averaging 0.12 for Phos and .043 for Nitrates. I haven't tested in a couple of weeks. I failed to notice my Chaeto dying until a few of days ago when my display had a crazy uptick of nuisance algae. Will be testing again in the next couple of days.

Was also looking at

Gracilaria pacifica
Glad I could help!
I have read that most macroalgae do not tolerate Nitrate levels below 2 ppm and Phosphate levels below 0.02 ppm (Livealgae.co.uk). Beyond Phosphates and Nitrates, they are also require many trace elements, like corals, especially iron. You should probably look into these before getting more macroalgae.
P.S. Brightwell Aquatics makes some great products for these (ChaetoGRO, NeoPhos, NeoNitro).

nathang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really! I have have been told/have only seen it grow very slowly compared to other macroalgae. What was your experience and do you have any pictures?
I don’t have any pictures but I had it in my refugium (AI prime) and display (AI hydra) and it grew super fast. Probably tossed a fistful away every two weeks

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I could help!
I have read that most macroalgae do not tolerate Nitrate levels below 2 ppm and Phosphate levels below 0.02 ppm (Livealgae.co.uk). Beyond Phosphates and Nitrates, they are also require many trace elements, like corals, especially iron. You should probably look into these before getting more macroalgae.
P.S. Brightwell Aquatics makes some great products for these (ChaetoGRO, NeoPhos, NeoNitro).
My iron is high. Via ICP testing which makes sense since I have sand with a high iron content. The other trace levels seem to be fine as well via testing.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any pictures but I had it in my refugium (AI prime) and display (AI hydra) and it grew super fast. Probably tossed a fistful away every two weeks
Wow! Mine barely grew a centimeter in a year :( (though it did fall behind my rockwork).
I also hear invertebrates love to graze on its fuzzy surface for captured particulates. Overall, a great macroalgae!

nathang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Mine barely grew a centimeter in a year :( (though it did fall behind my rockwork).
I also hear invertebrates love to graze on its fuzzy surface for captured particulates. Overall, a great macroalgae!
Yea I loved it, which is why I always kept a chunk in my display to fill gaps. It was pretty

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back