Algae Scrubber or Macro Algae Reactor?

SCH14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Which one is more beneficial for a 310g tank with 6-8 large tangs and other reef safe fish+coral

Noticed when I added an 8" Unicorn tang my nitrates went from 5 to 25 within 3 days.

Currently only using a small amount of biopellets and tank has been running for 4.5 months.

If macro algae is more efficient Im thinking Ulva (sea lettuce)

Last edited:

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 1200 gallon system with all 3 tanks plumbed into the same sump. I have the centre section that’s about 30x36 as a cheato grow with a 1000w equivalent plant grow light from Amazon that stays on 24/7. It’s fast and easy to maintain. I harvest about a bucket full every few weeks. Algae scrubbers are a pain to clean if you ask me. I’ve used one in the past plenty enough to know I like the cheato grow way better.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on an algae scrubber, and just did a macro grow out tank. Same as above, cleaning out the scrubber every week for the meager amount of algae that came out wasn't worth it.

I just used two old radions and made something like 6500 k setting. The algae is growing fast enough to hold down my phosphates in a 1000 + system in the first month I set it up.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back