What type is it

Teaman89

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2020
Messages
93
Reaction score
121
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got back into reef (THANK GOODNESS) and our tank has been up and going for 4 months. I didn’t get the diotoms like last time. But I have
Acquired a new type I haven’t seen before. Can I get some info on it and what you guys do to get rid of it.

IMG_1180.jpeg IMG_1181.jpeg IMG_1182.jpeg IMG_1183.jpeg
 
We got back into reef (THANK GOODNESS) and our tank has been up and going for 4 months. I didn’t get the diotoms like last time. But I have
Acquired a new type I haven’t seen before. Can I get some info on it and what you guys do to get rid of it.

IMG_1180.jpeg IMG_1181.jpeg IMG_1182.jpeg IMG_1183.jpeg
Manually remove it. CUC like an urchin or maybe some nessarius snails
 
We got back into reef (THANK GOODNESS) and our tank has been up and going for 4 months. I didn’t get the diotoms like last time. But I have
Acquired a new type I haven’t seen before. Can I get some info on it and what you guys do to get rid of it.

IMG_1180.jpeg IMG_1181.jpeg IMG_1182.jpeg IMG_1183.jpeg
This is indeed bryopsis and is one of the more challenging of algae due to need of its complete removal. Removal is best accomplished by taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water. Then you will want to pull as much as you can by hand and discard. With a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull the roots off the rock. YOU MUST GET EVERY ROOT OR IT WILL SIMPLY RETURN !!
After you are done return rock to tank and reduce white light intensity and even hours of white light and add the following cleaners which will help with control. These guys will consume bryopsis but not as fast as bryopsis can grow - They will never keep up.
Pin cushion urchin, Chiton snails, pitho crabs, and larger astrea snails

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae

harbor Freight:

dental picks.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new