What type of acclimation do you use for Yumas?

How do you acclimate Yumas to your tank?

• Only temp acclimation

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Temp and drip acclimation

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • nothing not even drip or temp

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • the old little bit of water in the bag every 15 min etc..

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had a serious issue with yumas over the last 4-5+ years. Previously to that I could keep them without issue, since I switched salts and began to change my acclimation process for shipped corals I have had no issues at all with yumas either wild or aquacultured.

The only thing I do now for corals is temp acclimate, I no longer do any drip acclimation with them. I have done this with all the yumas I have had in the recent 2-3 years now since I tried getting them back in my tank and have had 100%(knock on wood) luck as long as they are healthy when recieved of course....

Tell us what you do in this poll.....

Last edited:

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
other than SPS which i dipp with TMPCC before it ever goes into my display, everything is temp acclimated, and thats it.

Ive done that with just about every kind of common LPS and shroom and never lost one.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I wish I would have come around to that idea many years ago after spending $1000 on Hot pink yumas and didn't get to see anyone of them for more then 2 weeks before they melted.....

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always temp and drip acclimate my corals, fish, inverts. My yuma's(2) have taken a longer time to acclimate to my lights and flow more than anything. I have to gradually move them into a setting that is suitable, medium flow, and lower light(which is hard in my tank).

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to as well Steve.....If I buy local I will temp and drip, but if it is shipped overnight from a trade or OLFS then I just temp.....

After reading what happens to the shipping water and the changes it goes through as you add tank water and the spike of ammonia I figured that could have very well been the problem with Yumas....Since switching to the new way of acclimating corals/ricordea I have not lost a single one in over a year....

I would like to get more opinions on this from people that have voted or vote, please add to the knowledge of the poll/site.

Reef-N-Chicago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about the difference in salinity though?

I have read about the ammonia in a shipped bag too but couldnt decide if it was alright to just through them in?!

What if it was, say, a starfish? Which requires very slow acclimation?

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the coral that I purchase or get wholesale I put them in the water that they come in and just put an equal amout of water from my tank. So, 50 percent of the water they were shipped in and 50 percent of the water from my system. From that point I just add about 20 percent more of my water every five minutes. I do this for about 20 minutes. From that point if they are soft coral they then get dipped In Lugols, Solution and if they are SPS they get dipped in Tech-D. After the dipping process I rinse them with water from my sytem. Before they get placed in the system I inspect them to make sure there is nothing on them that I would not want in my system.
Kind of a long process but it has worked for me for several years.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find most LPS and soft corals can handle being just dropped into your tank (without shipping water), they may not open for a few days due to the extra stress. Toadstools often stay closed for quite some time if you drop them in. For SPS I do a drip acclimation though I have just dropped a few in and they did fine. As long as the coral is healthy and the salinity difference isn't huge they'll be alright in my experience.

treylane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done 2-hour drip acclimations of many corals, and drop-in-the-tank acclimation of corals of all types and I haven't noticed any difference in survival rates. To the point that I don't even temp acclimate anymore, except that nowadays I dunk acros in a bucket of ReVive for a few minutes before they go into the tank.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about the difference in salinity though?

I have read about the ammonia in a shipped bag too but couldn't decide if it was alright to just through them in?!

What if it was, say, a starfish? Which requires very slow acclimation?

I think inverts probably should be acclimated over long periods of time........I do, do the drip for them and that usually takes about an hour or two. Just because of the sensitivity to differant salinities......Mainly the poll was for ricordea Yumas as they have become the bane of the hobby over the last few years with their sensitivity and high percentage of melting......

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With most yumas the problem keeping them is not acclimation. Its the following:
1. Yumas are very sensitive, so in shipping if there are any spikes in temperature they may arrive well but will soon melt.

2. You need a yuma friendly tank. Which means low flow and high nutrients. Also keeping them in a shaded area works as well.

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
in a van, down by the river in South Haven, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haven't received any yumas in a while, but with my other stuff, i have put them in a bowel large enough that they all fit on the bottom. then i add enough shipping water to almost cover them (a little more than half way). i then start a fast drip going, until they're covered, and then slow it down and keep it going until i've got about half gallon total water. i add my kent's iodine dip, let it sit 5-10 minutes, and throw em in the tank (after rinsing/dipping them in tank water in another bowel). that's for the stuff i think is most sensitive.

i hadn't known about the amonia spike, until you and i spoke, and it got me thinking about how i do it. i wonder if by limiting the amount of shipping water used, if the "new" tank water would be able to buffer the ammonia spike during a drip?

as i write this, i wonder about just putting them in an empty bowel and starting the drip. a lot of corals are able to be out of water for a while (tides), and by slowly adding the water, they would get used to the salinity, no?

you're much more the yuma/ric expert, than i am james :haha: however you decide to do it, let me know, cause i'll follow your lead :D :D i'm just kinda wingin it :haha:

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With most yumas the problem keeping them is not acclimation. Its the following:
1. Yumas are very sensitive, so in shipping if there are any spikes in temperature they may arrive well but will soon melt.

2. You need a yuma friendly tank. Which means low flow and high nutrients. Also keeping them in a shaded area works as well.

I do agree with #1.....

But the ones I have right now and the ones I just acclimated are not in low flow or low light.....Although they are at the bottom of a 25'' tall tank lit by a single 250w 14k and 2x24w T-5( not sure if that is considered low light).......I always could never truly figure out what the flow was/is as it seems to be different for everybody....I do also use that term as well though.....Mine are in an area of inconsistent flow that does ruffle the edges of the polyp but does not lift the polyps up so to speak....Good trade of info guys lets keep it going.....

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always just temp acclimated and then toss them in. So far so good, so I'm not gonna change anything.

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest problem is there not great shippers and maybe need to be dipped in a antibiotic solution after they have been temp acclimated.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
other than SPS which i dipp with TMPCC before it ever goes into my display, everything is temp acclimated, and thats it.

Ive done that with just about every kind of common LPS and shroom and never lost one.

+1

And if it dies, I wasn't meant to have it.....I guess I wasn't meant to have alot of stuff :tongue:

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats my problem - no more yumas for me. I have a mixed reef and they don't seem to like my tank being so clean.....

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just temp acclimate my yumas and Rics, then in my tank they go. I always start my yumas off in a shaded area with medium flow, then slowly move then to direct light depending on how wide they expand. I have 3 right now that I am trying to move to the light. I temp acclimate and dip my SPS, LPS, zoas and palys. i am just now getting back into rics and yumas, so I have a little catching up to do, but so far it is working. Got a yuma or 2 coming in next week.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo acclimation I think is the #1 thing with yumas after shipping and new environments..

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 38 22.1%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 102 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back