What type of algae is this??

  • Thread starter Thread starter michellem
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

michellem

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
25
Reaction score
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1465007479.117610.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1465007672.499585.jpg
 
It definitely looks like green hair algae from the pics, but I would suggest trying to get a close up shot, if you can. The reason I say this is because there are types of bryopsis that look just like GHA from afar. I've actually had first-hand experience fighting that battle and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. Both GHA and bryopsis suck, but GHA is much easier to treat than the b-word.

GHA will have straight individual strands, while bryopsis will look like a feather, with the center section slightly thicker than the pieces feathering off of it. The strain I had looked just like GHA until you got up really close and could see that it had a feather-like structure. When most people hear the word bryopsis, they think of the more common thicker version. Unfortunately, the beast comes in a few different flavors.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new