What type of lights are over your reef??

What is your main source of light??

• T5

Votes: 56 16.2%
  • Metal Halide

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • LED

Votes: 195 56.4%
  • T5/LED Combo

Votes: 55 15.9%
  • T5/MH Combo

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through a great thread on metal halides today it got me thinking, what is everyone running as their MAIN lighting source?
If you are running T5 with led suplement, your main source is T5. If LED with T5 suplement, your main source is LED and so on for the purposes of this thread.
My hybrid light is both T5 and LED, neither is a "supplement".

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x Kessil A360WE, going to supplement with T5 of some sort to give better "colors" to corals, Kessil is way too blue for my taste.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 3! 48" Giesemann Spectra MH/T5 combo with a Kessil A360we mounted in the middle. New build will need a bigger light but I will be going the same route with a 72" Spectra MH/T5 and 2 Kessil A360's.

Old pic of a setup I dont have anymore. The light is currently on my frag tank.
Im getting this light for my next build as well...awesome. Will be doing the mods also, with two a160's on the outsides and a A360 in the middle.
Did you see the mod someone did taking the kessil's body apart keeping just the light guts making the lenses flush on the Spectra screen?

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im getting this light for my next build as well...awesome. Will be doing the mods also, with two a160's on the outsides and a A360 in the middle.
Did you see the mod someone did taking the kessil's body apart keeping just the light guts making the lenses flush on the Spectra screen?

Yup I saw that. Unfortunately I do not believe the A360 body comes apart as easily as the A160. I also did not want to cut the grate incase I want to sell it in the future its been hacked up less. For me its mainly for my viewing pleasure to ramp up and down.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I saw that. Unfortunately I do not believe the A360 body comes apart as easily as the A160. I also did not want to cut the grate incase I want to sell it in the future its been hacked up less. For me its mainly for my viewing pleasure to ramp up and down.
I understand. Maybe ill do 4 x A160's and integrate them that way. The way yours looks is awesome also. Ill prob end up getting extra grates in case when im ready to sell it. A good budy of mine who is an extremely successful sps guy fully stands behind Giesemann. Can't beat the light of Radium bulbs, t5's and also have the dusk/dawn effect from kessils with a sleek, beautiful fixture...best of all worlds

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
After reading through a great thread on metal halides today it got me thinking, what is everyone running as their MAIN lighting source?

If you are running T5 with led suplement, your main source is T5. If LED with T5 suplement, your main source is LED and so on for the purposes of this thread.

Please answer the poll and take it one step further in the comments. Are you happy with what you are using for your main source of lighting? If not what are/would you consider changing to??

Looking forward to seeing the results!!
Wow alot of votes for leds and barely any for MH, what a good topic. I run both t5 nd led

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radion XR30 Gen3
678d7b62b6ef9cfec92bb259ebb372f7.jpg

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
I too have the Marine Orbitz pro led with ramp timer. Love this light have had it for 2 1/2 years. Still doing its thing. Although I did recently purchase a Replacement Ramp Timer (Salt Creep)

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running Aqua Illumination LED fixtures, but recently switched over to a Giesemann Aurora T5/LED hybrid. Much better coverage, no shadowing and better growth.

IMG_6805 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Back