• Total voters

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R,

Like others have stated, your off to a great start with research. It is imperative to research as much as possible. You can achieve anything you want.

Look at me as an example. I have a vision last November to do a large system while i was finishing my basement. I knew absolulty NOTHING about saltwater. BUT what I did do, was a ton of research on every spare minute i had. Felt confident and started the design.

You can do it, good luck :)

OP
OP
Nautalis-II

Nautalis-II

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R,

Like others have stated, your off to a great start with research. It is imperative to research as much as possible. You can achieve anything you want.

Look at me as an example. I have a vision last November to do a large system while i was finishing my basement. I knew absolulty NOTHING about saltwater. BUT what I did do, was a ton of research on every spare minute i had. Felt confident and started the design.

You can do it, good luck :)

Yes! turning visions into a reality with hard work and discipline is what I'm best at. My natural abilities don't hurt either. Thanks for the response and I'd love to see your progress. How do I find a member's threads?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really helpful, thanks. HAHA, normally I'm used to taking action as soon as I've reached a decision, but in this case taking action means being patient.

How do I age rock...in a cycled tank that has properly purified and treated saltwater? I have zero equipment, and while I may be able to buy now (if it is very cheap), I'm really not in a place where I can actually set anything up yet. Sad, I know! But maybe I can make it work.

Well, you won't be cycling or curing rock until you're a few months out from wanting to get your tank wet. But, this can be done in a plastic trash bin with a pump or powerhead and some water changes. With the kind of lead time you're giving yourself, there are endless options on the BEST way and how to start. Feel free to share on a thread like "general aquarium discussion" what you're thinking and you'll get fantastic advise.

Two years out, and not wanting to buy a lot of equipment straight away, I'd focus on the house and where I want the tank to go. Putting it somewhere where you can fit a drain, snake up an RODI line, or have a hose/pump coming from where you anticipate having your saltwater bin. All good things.

I tend to think of mine more like a washing machine or some other major appliance. If it doesn't have robust electric and plumbing, it's a lot more work for you.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AAC2BDBB-B762-40C1-8407-E67FD4782FA6.jpeg

OP
OP
Nautalis-II

Nautalis-II

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you won't be cycling or curing rock until you're a few months out from wanting to get your tank wet. But, this can be done in a plastic trash bin with a pump or powerhead and some water changes. With the kind of lead time you're giving yourself, there are endless options on the BEST way and how to start. Feel free to share on a thread like "general aquarium discussion" what you're thinking and you'll get fantastic advise.

Two years out, and not wanting to buy a lot of equipment straight away, I'd focus on the house and where I want the tank to go. Putting it somewhere where you can fit a drain, snake up an RODI line, or have a hose/pump coming from where you anticipate having your saltwater bin. All good things.

I tend to think of mine more like a washing machine or some other major appliance. If it doesn't have robust electric and plumbing, it's a lot more work for you.

Thank you so much. Every response, no matter how trivial it may seem to an experienced reefer, is really helping me put this puzzle together, and allows me to the connect dots to learn things I didn't know.

The reason my timeline is so long is because my parents are supporting me while I attend university. So even a schematic will be near impossible, because I don't know where I'll end up living. As I told another user, I have a lot of interest in electrical and plumbing in general. I certainly plan on doing things right, having things like a dedicated circuit once I'm in a home.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Knowledge leads to success. Patience leads to building a wealth of knowledge.
Joining this group is a big first step and one that will prove this hobby as rewarding.
Buy the best equipment you cannot afford, but in essence you buy it once and can count on reliable equipment to help you sustain the many cool creatures you will encounter for saltwater aquaria.

WITH THAT, WE WELCOME YOU !!!

Last edited:

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. More power to you. I could never wait that long. I waited 3 months during a torn bicep tendon to get my tank up and running. Staring at a 150 gallon setup in my garage was killing me. However, patience is what made me make a lot of good decisions. You are doing it right. No matter how much you read and experience you have you will still run into issues. Everyone does. However, when you do then you will be prepared and ready for the challenge!!

OP
OP
Nautalis-II

Nautalis-II

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy the best equipment you cannot afford, but in essence you buy it once and...

How do you mean? When I'm able to knowledgeably purchase equipment, I will try to be as good/best/advanced equipment as I can that fits my goals and allows me to grow into the hobby. Measure twice, cut once > Research thrice, buy once > buy once, hobby forever.

OP
OP
Nautalis-II

Nautalis-II

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...when you do then you will be prepared and ready for the challenge!!

Honestly, this has always been my model and has lead to great success in everything I've done. Careful planning following by decisive, effortless action when the time is right. The mistakes I discover with experience and failure is part of the fun.

Christ man, a torn bicep tendon? That sounds horrible. Had my fair share of injuries since I'm pretty active and out there...fortunately I really enjoy reading so that keeps me happy while I'm limited on the sideline.

Edit: Saw the rule about profanity. I need a mop... We're clean.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How do you mean? When I'm able to knowledgeably purchase equipment, I will try to be as good/best/advanced equipment as I can that fits my goals and allows me to grow into the hobby. Measure twice, cut once > Research thrice, buy once > buy once, hobby forever.
Just saying. . . . . Buy the very best - it is worth it no matter what the cost

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! We're here to help facilitate your future addiction!

giphy[1].gif

It sounds you're taking a great approach and researching well ahead of time to give yourself the best chance for success. In addition to books, YouTube is a great resource with a wealth of knowledge available. Below are a few channels/playlists I would highly recommend.

• BRSTV - BulkReefSupply's YouTube channel has a ton of information. You should definitely check out their 52 Weeks of Reefing playlist. It walks you through the entire process of setting up and maintaining a reef tank. Their 52 FAQ is a good supplement to that series as well.
  • Marine Depot Aquarium Supplies - Another vendor YouTube channel that has a ton of how to guides, product reviews, etc.
  • Inappropriate Reefer - As his name suggests, IR does some "inappropriate" things that might make other reefers cringe, but his channel is extremely entertaining and informative as he documents his reefing journey.
  • FishofHex - A very informative channel with a ton of videos covering beginner, intermediate and advanced reefing techniques. He also does Q&A videos pretty regularly so if you have specific questions he might answer them for you.
As far as purchasing equipment, I would check these forums to see if there are any local reef clubs near you with members selling used gear. You can also check Craigslist, Facebook and eBay for deals on used equipment. Given you've got two years to accumulate your equipment that should give you plenty of time to search out the best deals you can get on top of the line equipment. Best of luck to you and happy future reefing!

giphy[1].gif

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back