What was something you were advised not to do, but did anyway. Did it work out for you?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby, people offer us all kinds of advice. However, there are times we ignore this advice and take matters into our own hands. I am wondering what was something someone told you not to try, but you did it anyway. Curious to see what everyone will say!

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chase Ph. Yes it has worked out quite well.
I am curious what you run your PH at. Also I looked over your website, love the about us info. you have some very nice pictures on your site.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious what you run your PH at. Also I looked over your website, love the about us info. you have some very nice pictures on your site.
Thank you for the kind words! We have our Kalk stirrers set to 8.33 This is the minimum that Ph is at in a 24 hr period. It goes as high as 8.5 during the day.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20+ years ago when I said I wanted to move all the equipment outside the tank - cause the noise from the Calcium Reactor bothered me - I'm very noise sensitive.

Everyone said - You can't put it outside, the rain, the cold the heat, the pollution.

Other than the outrageous costs to heat 1500g of salt water half of which is located outside without any coverage of any kind. Moving the equipment outside has been awesome. I have no noise in the house, the only mess in the house is when I reach into the tank to fuss with something.

And having the frag tanks outside provides better lighting and way better growth than anything I could ever purchase for inside the house.

Dave B

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dose without a protein skimmer. Been doing that since September 2021 and not a single water change, either. No sump, no socks, no skimmer. Just a very large biological filter and occasional dosing of MB7 for which no clue if it actually helps but makes me feel better.

This is a test tank and no corals but doubt having corals changes the results of dosing carbon without a skimmer. Doing currently 4ml to 16 gallons. More than recommended and something else told I shouldn't. Sometimes you should just to confirm it was incorrect to be told one shouldn't. Why I have a test tank.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Getting back into the hobby! Swore I would never use my CC for this. LOL. I put a lot of coral in too fast and didn't really plan a good layout for my rock. So many things have changed over the years, I should have done a lot more research. However, If I had done that, I might not be here.

Will59Payne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS in a 2.5 gal with only live rock and a single modded hob filter. It was the best tank I ever had, it thrived for three years, then I used it to seed my 50 gal. (The photo on my account is the 50gal.) Now after a few years on hiatus, I'm back and doing a 5 gal probably full of Montipora.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running my overflow the same gph as my tank.
I'm so noise sensitive as well and having the tank in my bedroom makes this all so important.
I went to a DC return, DC skimmer and dialed the flow to about 75 gallons an hour.
Everybody told me not enough flow, water will get stagnant but everything is so quiet now and my skimmer really smells bad.
Luckily not smell sensitive.
No more water sounds or loud pumps.
Flow inside the tank is high.
This is completely opposite of how I learned everything years ago but I'm so happy I went for the change.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed a 150 gallon tank full of rocks and sand with copper everyone said I would have copper leaching back out of it but that never happened and I don't have any downsides from when I did it but it saved 3 purple tangs and a hippo tang so was worth it

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no Bonafide filter of any kind in my tank. Water movement and live rock, decently stocked fish, sps, lps, clam cuc nems, etc... 150g fish from 1" - 6"
20g water change/month - Kalkwasser magnesium are the only things I dose...
over 3 years now :)

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby, people offer us all kinds of advice. However, there are times we ignore this advice and take matters into our own hands. I am wondering what was something someone told you not to try, but you did it anyway. Curious to see what everyone will say!
Buy a Red Sea aquarium.

11 months into my Gen 2 625 XXL and so far, zero problems.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back