What is something you did to your tank to improve it?

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was it before and how did it help?
It use to be in the 8-9 range but I keep it in the 7-8 range now. It’s more in line with my nutrients, which are low and I have to do things like feed heavy and run my skimmer part time to keep them detectable. My corals are coloring up better.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you add it within your tank? I have thought about doing that myself.

I built an ATS into my overflow box. I was supprized how quickly it dropped my nutrients. I had always had supper high levels before adding it. It cost less that $30.00 too. I have a thread here on how i did it. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-anyone-can-build-an-ats-for-under-30-00.518209/
I bought it off a private owner of a design out in the UK. Not cheap as shipping it to Colorado was like $150 but definitely worth it.
it’s a 3D print but he doesn’t even share the print. Since it may be the leading product in the saltwater industry.

rknapp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular dosing of Kalc via my Neptune DOS, has kept my pH up mostly between 8.2 and 8.3, and coral growth took off. Used to bounce between 7.8 to 8.1

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the above, I have a HOB refugium , stopped dosing AB+, started dosing B-Ionic 2 part, started using kz 4 part micro element dosing once a week, lowered my iodide dosing, and started adding Mag several times per week.
I have been on the fence about AB+. I started dosing it and immediately I saw my blastos close up. I realized that was the only change I made, and so after a couple weeks of dosing I stopped, and they opened back up. The only thing is I definitely lost coral coloration, so Im tempted to try again. What made you stop dosing it?

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expensive, bought it off a private owner of a design out in the UK and shipping to Colorado international was like $150. So… not cheap but worth it in my opinion.
I’ll see if I can. For now I’m out on a business trip. Will update with pictures
Do you have a link to the guy you purchased it from as I'm in the UK & would be interested in having one myself :)

FiveGallonSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave up getting fish I wanted and started stocking it with fish that were peaceful. For years I tried to make certain tangs and angels work. Now I have one blonde naso tang that's a puppy that I dread giving up since it's outgrowing my tank. The rest are all small peaceful fish. The tank is happy again. No stress, no bullies, no corals being picked at. It's not always about what you want :upside-down-face:

And as far as keeping my hands out... I actually put my hands in more than ever. I gave up on magnet cleaners due to all the scratches no matter how careful I was and love to clean by hand with my magic eraser. I save any rearranging I want to do for cleaning day and that's that. Of course I make sure I have no cologne, sprays, deodorants, or anything on my hands/arms before doing so.

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all are looking for ways we can improve our tanks. The question I am wondering is what is something you did to your tank that improved it in your eyes? Did you add a certain livestock to it? Maybe you started dosing a specific chemical in your tank that improved it. Curious to see what everyone says!
Bought half a dozen snails. Rocks look better overnight.

Genvid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a new set of snails as the old one had worn out a bit. And I bought live Australian stone to replace it in the tank. The stone is still in quarantine

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my 5' skimmer maybe 30 years ago.

This is the DIY venturi valve for that skimmer.

Above tank algae scrubber.

De-nitrate reactor, (just for fun and experiment)

This razor glass cleaner.

You can't have to many of these which I built.

This is the manifold for my reverse undergravel filter'

Brine shrimp hatchery and shell seperator.

Evaporative chiller

Mandarin feeder.

Water cooled LED lights.

Water cooled LED light for algae scrubber.

I invented and patented the Majano Wand.

Stand etc.

Last edited:

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to the guy you purchased it from as I'm in the UK & would be interested in having one myself
Ya, I believe he’s telling me it will be up for sale on eBay this Saturday. I will let you know tho here and send you the link on Saturday.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking a large section of my sump and dedicating it to chaeto... just felt everything looked better and parameters were more in check. I had so much it really also acted as a filter for floating particles.
He’s giving it a shot selling it on eBay this Saturday. I’ll shoot you the link.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a par meter and used it to set my lights properly. Best money spent so far.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my 5' skimmer maybe 30 years ago.

This is the DIY venturi valve for that skimmer.

Above tank algae scrubber.

De-nitrate reactor, (just for fun and experiment)

This razor glass cleaner.

You can't have to many of these which I built.

This is the manifold for my reverse undergravel filter'

Brine shrimp hatchery and shell seperator.

Evaporative chiller

Mandarin feeder.

Water cooled LED lights.

Water cooled LED light for algae scrubber.

I invented and patented the Majano Wand.

Stand etc.

Those are some impressive DIY stuff you have made.

adammarcos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a Live Brine shrimp Hatchery within my reef tank. I’ve seen exponential growth on all my soft corals.
We all are looking for ways we can improve our tanks. The question I am wondering is what is something you did to your tank that improved it in your eyes? Did you add a certain livestock to it? Maybe you started dosing a specific chemical in your tank that improved it. Curious to see what everyone says!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back