What was something you were advised not to do, but did anyway. Did it work out for you?

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into the hobby! Swore I would never use my CC for this. LOL. I put a lot of coral in too fast and didn't really plan a good layout for my rock. So many things have changed over the years, I should have done a lot more research. However, If I had done that, I might not be here.
It would be strange for me if I left the hobby then came back in 5–10 years. Seeing all the changes would be overwhelming for sure haha

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting small tangs in a small tank is something I read not to do but did it anyway.
It has and hadn't worked out.
It has worked out because the Blue Tang I got when she was probably as small as a penny (or just less) for you US folks.
She's grown quite a lot in the past couple of years (probably the size of 1 & a half to 2 post it notes) and I'm in the process of sorting things to get her and the rest of my existing tank into a 6ft tank which I always wanted to do from the start but was a bit unsure of how I'd go with it.

It hadn't worked out for a 2 spot bristletooth tang as he was quite aggressive to some of the other fish. He was the first tang I got I think and had it for about 12 months before I tore the tank down to move. Apparently it died whilst the LFS was holding my livestock until I got the tank set up again (moved across country, hence the holding).

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done quite a few things that some folks warn against.
1. I utilize a deep sand bed. So many folks are afraid that a DSB will poison the tank but I have had 3 tanks with DSBs and they have all done just fine, (and one of them was up over 10 years).
2. I use a HOB overflow box instead of a drilled overflow. A lot of folks are afraid that an overflow box will lose syphon and then overflow the display. My HOB overflow box has been on my tanks for more than 15 years without a single overflow incident. If a HOB overflow box is set up properly they are quite reliable.
3. I do not QT new fish. I do put them in a baby net until they acclimate to the new tank water before I release them into the tank freely.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a purple tang in a 75 gallon aquarium. (Uh oh, I hear them coming... :grinning-squinting-face: ) And yes, 4 years later, still happy and healthy. Only 4 inches long.

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS in a 2.5 gal with only live rock and a single modded hob filter. It was the best tank I ever had, it thrived for three years, then I used it to seed my 50 gal. (The photo on my account is the 50gal.) Now after a few years on hiatus, I'm back and doing a 5 gal probably full of Montipora.
I have done this as well with a 2.5 gallon and HOB filter. This was the beginning then I eventually added some SPS with a better light and they did quite well actually. The HOB was rated for 50 or 70 gallons with a modified chamber. I seeded it with a ceramic bacteria block from my display. Was such a neat affordable pico

Attachments

• IMG_1004.jpeg
    IMG_1004.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 26

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep sand bed, no skimmer, no quarantine, mandarin in a small tank, narrow tall tank. Kind of all the things. I like working with what I have or can build and try to keep it as simple as possible

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was told by several people to ditch my overflow and drill my tank instead cause it would lose siphon. 5 years never did.

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably aminos, I dose a cap of fuel twice a week in my 26 gallon tank. I was told it would cause bacteria blooms, cyabo, hair algae, etc. And so far it's been fine.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably aminos, I dose a cap of fuel twice a week in my 26 gallon tank. I was told it would cause bacteria blooms, cyabo, hair algae, etc. And so far it's been fine.
I dose one cap every day in my 40g, and did the same in my old 28! Tank couldn’t be happier.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back