What was your biggest difficulty in reefing?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has had problems. Everyone I know can point out they've had this, that, and the other, but what REALLY brought their tank to it's knees was X.

Mine was Dinos. A little more than 6 months of dinos. Lost most of my SPS at the time.

Tank at the time
IMG_20170410_150225630.jpg

IMG_20170410_150234313.jpg

IMG_20170410_150250938.jpg

IMG_0057_1.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0952.png

So what was your biggest struggle? What almost killed (or did kill) your tank/enthusiasm for reefing?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to talk about it. :oops:

;)

Nah, actually I have had a number of near disasters. I call them Extinction Events, because typically several species become extinct (in my aquarium, anyway.) One example: I trimmed back an overgrown softie, that I had trimmed previously, no problem. This time, after less trimming than before, it up and died. Took a nearby beautiful spongodes and few others with it. :(

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let majano anemones get completely out of hand once ...... once! Tried everything before hiring an Asfur Angel. Also ate Zoas though.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was a combibation of dino’s and ich , lost half my fish , couldnt stand too look at or go near my tank .. beat dino’s with peroxide and good husbandry , tank is back on top almost now ... but i realised that most of the time Your only an incident away from disaster with a reef tank !!

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a issue that barred me from even getting out of the gate. I cycled my tank 3 times before figuring out that I had stray voltage the whole time. I had my water tested out of my faucet, RO/DI system and Tank with everything coming back great. The second I would place anything in there, dead withing 24 hours. after 3 months of struggle and about to just give it up I had a random text come through... "Did you check for electricity in your water?" No, I thought.... All my equipment is new, how would that be, well needless to say the answer was yes!!

I am very grateful for that text, and now I am battling a case of the uglys as well, but I am happy to do it at this point! Happy to have my reef up and running and happy to report everything has lived since figuring out the issue!

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a issue that barred me from even getting out of the gate. I cycled my tank 3 times before figuring out that I had stray voltage the whole time. I had my water tested out of my faucet, RO/DI system and Tank with everything coming back great. The second I would place anything in there, dead withing 24 hours. after 3 months of struggle and about to just give it up I had a random text come through... "Did you check for electricity in your water?" No, I thought.... All my equipment is new, how would that be, well needless to say the answer was yes!!

I am very grateful for that text, and now I am battling a case of the uglys as well, but I am happy to do it at this point! Happy to have my reef up and running and happy to report everything has lived since figuring out the issue!

Ouch. Good on you for staying, hopefully it's all worth it!

Feels a little weird liking these posts.. "I had this horrible catastrophe that almost ruined everything!" <Rakie likes this>

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have not had that experience yet. [emoji52]

Glad you are safe!

Could you tell us a little more about how you trouble shot that and what the final culprit was?

Thanks!

jakeh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a sick sump setup with correct algae in the fuge and h380 you will see a diff

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a lot of difficulties going from all live rock to all dry rock. The most difficult was over coming Dino's. Of course, knowing what I know now, its no longer difficult.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine seems to be tank integrity. I had a modest freshwater planted aquarium that sprung a leak (cheap tank, but ran fine for ten years). I had to break it down and took that as a sign to return to reefing.

So far I have had two reef tanks delivered with damage. Technically that makes three problem tanks in a row. The replacement replacement tank will be delivered next week, so hopefully the difficulties will end.

Funny, I have had aquariums all of my life, often multiple tanks at once. This past year was the only time I had issues with tanks themselves and it happened three times. Guess I was due.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you tell us a little more about how you trouble shot that and what the final culprit was?

Thanks!

You can find my path here...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/3rd-time-is-a-charm-kinda-starting-to-lose-hope.395720/

Looking back the biggest tell I would say is that if you have a cut on your hand and you get a stinging feeling in it when you place your hands in the tank. I ended up having about 10 Volts running through my nano tank... You can find info in just a couple posts if you do a search for "Stray Voltage." So if you are having any issues keeping small inverts, or your fish are dying for no reason... Might be something you look into.

As far as for a solution, I simply bought 2 Grounding Probes... (Like $14 each - Just google for it) One goes in my tank and one in my Sump. I know it's overkill but redundancy is a beautiful thing in our hobby as things fail all the time.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not overkill in my opinion. The stray voltage will take the quickest path to the grounding probe. If you have it stray in the DT it may pass through everything before hitting the grounding probe in the sump (or vice versa, stray in the sump to the probe in the DT).

For my AIO I will have all equipment in the compartments except for one gyre unit. That unit is by one of the overflows, so I put the single grounding probe in the near compartment.

Salty Irishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino’s no question. Being brought to your knee’s is a very good anology. Nothing’s brought me closer to giving up a 30 yr obsession.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back