What was your biggest difficulty in reefing?

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting. How did you discover the stray voltage and what component was found guilty?

You can find my path here...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/3rd-time-is-a-charm-kinda-starting-to-lose-hope.395720/

Looking back the biggest tell I would say is that if you have a cut on your hand and you get a stinging feeling in it when you place your hands in the tank. I ended up having about 10 Volts running through my nano tank... You can find info in just a couple posts if you do a search for "Stray Voltage." So if you are having any issues keeping small inverts, or your fish are dying for no reason... Might be something you look into.

As far as for a solution, I simply bought 2 Grounding Probes... (Like $14 each - Just google for it) One goes in my tank and one in my Sump. I know it's overkill but redundancy is a beautiful thing in our hobby as things fail all the time.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread,
Lets see:
-Being a very frequent traveler for last 13 years.
-having my tank run for 3 years at home when I relocated the first time with my father and sister taking care of it and me visiting every few months.
upgrading to a 400 G and having each and every SPS I had or that I added for 4 years die for no reason I could identify. changing almost everything in the setup but still had corals die in amatter of 10 days after addition. This kept on for 4 years till eventually one day everything improved with no clear fix.
-Having my 400G tank leak from a seam at 2 am in the morning the day I traveled out. wife handled it great with support from LFS and building concierge. not a singly coral was lost, couple of fish dieed from being stuck in rocks out of water but around 50 fish made it fine.
-Velvet outbreak after religious quarantine for every fish I ever added. it killed around 30 of my fish.
-current challenge is having wife run the setup (400G DT connected to a system of 3 frag tanks and another small tank in basement with total volume of 800G) as I relocated again and fly home every 2-3 weeks for few days only. this has been going for the last 1.5 years and wife has handled many issues great.

finally very lucky that with above adn many more mishaps I have never had a total tank crash. Its definitely a difficult and non forgiving hobby yet I don't see myself shutting down the tank or downgrading.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back