What will happen when our pets become critically endangered?

Are you worried about our pets becoming endangered?

• Yes

Votes: 307 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 198 39.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to start a debate about global warming since it a mainstream established fact. But, in addition to this, humans pose multiple threats to our ecosystem and wildlife. Pollution, loss of habitat, unnatural ecosystem changes, invasive species, and others all threaten the worlds coral reefs. The World Wildlife Fund has just come out with the statistic that, of all monitored wildlife species, their populations are reduced buy 60% due to human activities, IN THE LAST 40 YEARS. This fact I found to be chilling to the bone. With more frequent and worse bleaching events predicted, I’m fearful that everything we have in our tanks will become endangered, possibly in our lifetimes. My local fish store is actually initiating a “homegrown project” to buy and sell locally propagated corals to reduce reliance on imports. The recent Indonesian ban is foreshadowing the future of our hobby.

Given these revelations, when I look at my reef, I have a greater sense of responsibility, and am starting to think in much longer terms. I have very young family members who may never have the opportunity to see these creatures in the wild. They will also be the generation who has to deal with the consequences of our societies actions.

I was wondering if others here are also suffering this long term sense of dread?

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's less dread with me and more like improving accountability. I'm not worried about fish in the long run, but I'm worried about coral.

Even on this forum you'll find people who blantantly reject climate change science because it doesn't support their $30,000 liability of a fish tank. HOWEVER, aquaculture and Mariculture are becoming the new norm. Where there is no longer coral reefs, there's Hope because some specimens remain for culturing.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, not suffering. The earth can handle it. All the doom and gloom makes me roll my eyes. All the doomsday scenarios predicted over the last 50 years have not come true.

This thread should probably be moved to the "Lounge" though as it is not related to our current reef tanks and can be full of opinions.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's less dread with me and more like improving accountability. I'm not worried about fish in the long run, but I'm worried about coral.

Even on this forum you'll find people who blantantly reject climate change science because it doesn't support their $30,000 liability of a fish tank. HOWEVER, aquaculture and Mariculture are becoming the new norm. Where there is no longer coral reefs, there's Hope because some specimens remain for culturing.
Climate is changing all the time, always has and always will. Man's impact is yet to determined.

rhymechizel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The oceans are warming, the cause is up for debate. Many things reported as fact considering globel warming are theories and not true fact. The more people that believe a theory does not make it fact. Growing coral and replanting reefs seems very promising. I hope to see more investment in this and maybe planting reefs in water that was once seen as too cool to survive.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found one ^
I just said climate is changing all the time and always will. I don't go by the bunk "science" of doomsday scenarios because there is NO proof. I'm not a scientist but am getting a PhD in Chemical engineering so I like to think I know my stuff and am REALLY good at research.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's make this a good discussion without getting personal or political. We are all welcome to our own opinion. Thanks. :)

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good lord, anthropomorphic climate change is a scientific fact. How on earth are there still people denying that?
Can't....roll....my....eyes....any.....harder. I have no doubt humans are altering the landscape on our earth...it's the earths response that I am more confident in than climate change "scientists"

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @jschultzbass, I tend to roll my eyes at all the doom and gloom. Not saying there aren't things that need to be improved, but just worrying about it isn't going to help anything, especially when it comes to climate change. I have no doubt the climate has been changing, what I have yet to see is a convincing argument that 1. Man is solely to blame and 2. If we are, there is anything that can be done about it at this point.

All these "climate agreements" and taxes and laws are just silly in the grand scheme of things and don't even put a dent in it if we really are the cause. With countries like China and India that will always do their own thing, the rest of the world wouldn't be able to make up for it anyway.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just said climate is changing all the time and always will. I don't go by the bunk "science" of doomsday scenarios because there is NO proof. I'm not a scientist but am getting a PhD in Chemical engineering so I like to think I know my stuff and am REALLY good at research.

Lol, well I am a PhD with a 20 year science career and I know I’m good at research. Anthropomorphic Climate change is a real thing.

My PhD is in molecular endocrinology and vaccine research but I minored in environmental studies and I’m very much into environmental protection. Climate change deniers remind me very much of antivaxxers in their disregard for good science, and that’s a group one dealt with professionally for a long time. The parallels are substantial.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m peacing our of this discussion- I come here for fun and arguing with science deniers hurts my brain and reminds me too much of the antivaxxers that used to hole up outside my lab on campus and call me a baby killer.

[emoji67]‍⚕️[emoji106]

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every ones OPINION of climate change is irreverent. We all know what the actual answer to the OPs question is... Once they are classified as endangered we will no longer be able to collect these animals. It is only a matter of time until that happens. We should be focusing on finding the path forward not fighting with each other.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to start a debate about global warming since it a mainstream established fact. But, in addition to this, humans pose multiple threats to our ecosystem and wildlife. Pollution, loss of habitat, unnatural ecosystem changes, invasive species, and others all threaten the worlds coral reefs. The World Wildlife Fund has just come out with the statistic that, of all monitored wildlife species, their populations are reduced buy 60% due to human activities, IN THE LAST 40 YEARS. This fact I found to be chilling to the bone. With more frequent and worse bleaching events predicted, I’m fearful that everything we have in our tanks will become endangered, possibly in our lifetimes. My local fish store is actually initiating a “homegrown project” to buy and sell locally propagated corals to reduce reliance on imports. The recent Indonesian ban is foreshadowing the future of our hobby.

Given these revelations, when I look at my reef, I have a greater sense of responsibility, and am starting to think in much longer terms. I have very young family members who may never have the opportunity to see these creatures in the wild. They will also be the generation who has to deal with the consequences of our societies actions.

I was wondering if others here are also suffering this long term sense of dread?

I'm not suffering, just very aware of you points. That's why its my life goal, what ever time I'm on the earth, to try to figure key to longevity of dendronephthya corals. And always seek the Kingdom and his righteousness first. Just trying to stay awake.

Last edited:

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, there is little doubt among people that use science as a yardstick that Global Warming is real.

Remember that part about stability in your reef and slow swings?

Will all the current coral reefs die.
Naw, just most of them.
The ones on the outer cooler temperature bands will survive and thrive at newer warmer latitudes.
My tank's mined dry rock limestone comes from a long ago inland sea. [emoji4] lol, think about that for a minute or 2.

Will we be happy with the changes to the coast lines and increased droughts, hurricanes and horribly changing weather patterns in the meantime?
Lol, Naw, probably not. [emoji848] Think about that when you talk about the earth constantly changing. [emoji4] You are correct. The earth is constantly changing. But i bet you won't like most of those recently expected changes!

Speaking of happy fantasies, If your going to live in delusional land, why can't you at least make it a pleasant place?!?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the coral bans in effect the amount of coral going forward will be decreasing the longer the Indo ban stays in effect. That is my current worry. Global warming is an issue that with effect the long term but short term the collecting and shipping bans will start hitting hobbyist next year for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%

Back