What will you do with your cerebra

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it appears that the new controller is not going to happen, what will you do with your unit. I was doing some cleaning yesterday, and couldn't bring myself to toss it out, but I don't know what I will even do with it.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone has the Ver 7 unit I might be interested in buying it.
The older one's might be also be useful. I wish someone on the Beta forum would layout what was the problems with the controller. Was it buggy hardware or software? The fact they redesigned the hardware makes both of those a possibility. Anyone have details?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what was the major issues with it?

I didn’t have either version, but from what I understand, V1 used old hardware that was underpowered. I saw some pictures posted after V1 was released that had a 2012 date stamped on the circuit board meaning the components were at least 4 years old when it was released. I saw some other posts of people complaining that the interface was kind of slow and clunky, which would make sense if they were trying to run a 2016 interface on 2012 hardware. It's hard to know beyond that. The cerebra forum was closed to everyone except beta testers and now it appears to be completely gone.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a working V1 I'm sure it would probably work for basic stuff. I would actually like some sort of controller for my RO/DI system, so If I could score one cheap I might consider it. I've only seen a few people that received V2 (7?) units and nothing on how stable or reliable they were. A lot of people sent in their head units so they could get the new unit, meaning they don't even have a complete V1 system now.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t have either version, but from what I understand, V1 used old hardware that was underpowered. I saw some pictures posted after V1 was released that had a 2012 date stamped on the circuit board meaning the components were at least 4 years old when it was released. I saw some other posts of people complaining that the interface was kind of slow and clunky, which would make sense if they were trying to run a 2016 interface on 2012 hardware. It's hard to know beyond that. The cerebra forum was closed to everyone except beta testers and now it appears to be completely gone.

Thanks.
The thing that bugs me the most about this kind of situation is that they don't release the source code. If they did that at least current owners would have a chance at having a proper controller.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
The thing that bugs me the most about this kind of situation is that they don't release the source code. If they did that at least current owners would have a chance at having a proper controller.
Agreed. From the reports I saw, there were at least some promising aspects to it.

I heard/read some time ago that the original one was purported to be open source but then vertex realized that making it completely open would cause other problems and switched tacks. (note: I can't be positive on this, so I would consider it a rumor unless you can find corroborating information)

*assuming* that Vertex is now defunct the cerebra intellectual property is likely considered an asset and as such won't be released since it could potentially be sold to another company to pick up development. For the sake of the people who got sucked in, I hope this is the case but the whole Cerebra project has turned into such a debacle that it's doubtful anyone else will touch it.

Back