OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire Reef-Most clownfish are hardy untill we get into some of the rarer speices like the Blue Stripes,Latz,a Luck's clownfish.Thats there common names right there.Google them and you will find alot about them.Most clowns are easy to keep,but the ones above,are picky,but I have had a pair of the Blue Stripes,Latz,and I have held 1 Luck's clownfish for a local guy who wanted it,he had it shipped to me to hold.I treated them and put them in QT and all went good.

Toddman74-Might be diet,what do you feed them?

toddman74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mostly spectrum A pellets every day. frozen mysis and frozen formula one a couple times a week.

Salty D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of feeding a maxi mini nem first and a clown shot in for an easy meal. Needless to say..it got stuck for a few seconds. A couple days later I noticed little black dots on the side that got stuck. I assume sting marks. I know that these nems dont host but when I upgrade in a couple months I am going to get a nem that they will host in. I thought that clowns had an immunity to nem stings. If I get a BTA or a large carpet and they decide to try going into it...will they get the crap stung out of them and get more of these black dots untill they develop a resistance to the nem? And is there any harm to the fish in this "learning experience"

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experince,clownfish will play a game with the anemone called Ding Dong Ditch...LOL,its very similar to the game actully.

When my clownfish fisrt atart to have interest into the anemones,they will go and put their nose into the outer edge of the anemone.And them run.So I call it a game of ding dong ditch but with the anemone.

It is also called snifing the anemone.They do this to get the slime from the anemone and get imunity to the anemone.Its a very fast thing and takes about 2-3 days to finish.

I think if you were to ger a BTA or a Carpet,they would be fine,they just need time to adapt.

Salty D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the little black dots a permanent "battle scar" or will they go away?

firereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Austin, I just purchased 2 naked clowns last night. Do you know the lifespan for these guys? I heard naked clowns, platinum, snowflakes, etc type clowns don't last as long as your typical percula, clarkii, type clowns. Is this true?

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id like to know if there is any studies or advancement being made in clown fish disease

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
firereef-Nice pick up!No,they will live just as long as any other clownfish,and they dont have a shorter life span,I have never heard of that,there would be no reason at all for that.

nixer-Yes and no,we are looking into this stuff daily,but improvments are hard to make over a very small amount of time,after a little bit,things should change,but at this point,I think we are almost at the peek of health problems with clownfish,there is a remidy for every thing almost at this point.

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Austin is a well full of great information pertaining to clowns. i have had the honor to email him and he has emailed back! haha

how many clowns are you raising currently?
when moving laying pairs around how long did it tank for them to start laying again?
for your green water and roti setups, when you were first starting and just wanted to get it running how much of them did you start and keep going?

my clowns will be moved around here in the next few weeks cause my clown tank is arriving and i will be adding 4 pairs to it and i know moving them stops them from laying for a while.
how long do you think it might tank for them to respawn?
you working with any rarer type of clowns? i see a few white bonnets floating around and i want to pick them up! hehe

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my pairs,I had probably 2 thousand fish a month,couldnt get rid of them at all...LOL

I just moved my tomato pair,and she has been in my 125 for about a month now,her names is betha and her mates name is wayne,bertha and wayne are about to lay a new clutch I can feel it coming on to be honest,she is getting fat and is becoming really bossy,and again really fat.....

I started them all,and then I just fed every day with phyto and then I pulled out a clutch of rots every 2 days,and fed them to my tank till I could get a good stable rot strian of my own.

Im honestly not sure how long it will take for your clowns to start spawning again,its always diffirent,I mean it could be a year,and it could be a couple months,if they are happy they will produce soon,feed them is all I can say!

I have only worked with Latz for a bit,such a hard fish to breed,I havent had a chance to get my hand on a nice little male Luck clownfish.Only larger ones,which I havent had a chance to buy yet either...LOL

Anyother questions let me know,I will always answer an email if you send it,unless it goes to spam,I hate when people ignor my emails,and I dont want others to have the problem,just send me an email called "Clownfish help/questions" and you WILL hear back from me!

Thanks

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what type of roti do you use and greenwater? im looking to buy cultures and i am looking to find out what specifically i should buy. im gonna go with reeds, i am assuming that you use them.

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,that who I use.

I use the green water supp and the rotifers in the pack!

Im wanting to try some actully live phyto that I can make...LOL,maybe in time.

IPisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering the same. I am needing to take a tank down and I have a pair of black ocellaris that I need to move. I have a pair of orange ocellaris in a 75 gal tank and was planning on putting the black ones in with them. The female orange one is hosting in an elephant mushroom and the male is hosting in one of three toadstool leathers. Both of which are at the same end of the tank. I also have frogspawn, hairy mushrooms and hammer coral at the other end that the black onese could be hosted by. Do you think I will be able to get away with it.

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
firereef-Yes you can,but it is hard to do.

Phil Henderson the founder of little princess favia,has done it before.He dont it in a 55 actully,NOW IM NOT TELLING EVERY BODY ITS SAFE TO DO,Phil is a very smart hobbiest and knows what to do in a case of the 55.In a 150,I would think you will be okay,as long as the clownfish take residence on the opposite side of the tank from the other pair,make since?

I think it is best to do in a tank 6 foot long,or longer,4 foot IMO is to short for me.However Ohil did it with perculas and pink skunks,and both sp. are very docile,so that also helps.

Best way to add them is by putting them in at diffirent times and making sure that they are on diffirent sides before adding the new ones.Thats the hard part is getting them to live on the ends of the tank,with an anemone,etc.

Hope that help!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%

Back