What would you all like to know?

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to post some more information in this forum and I dont know what ya'll want to know!So tell me,what is something that you would like to know or like to have revisited in the clownfish and anemone forum?\

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a list of hosts???? I really wanna host for my clowns but can't risk the nem and fuzzy shrooms out of the question... Could ya possibly throw up a quick list of names??? Thanks...;)

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll break the ice for you:

How can you tell the difference between an ocellaris and a percula?

Do the cheek spines on Maroons serve a purpose?
Premnas-biaculeatus-detail.jpg

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do gorgeous clowns like chrys' turn so ***** in captivity :(

Railrider1920

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a list of different types of anemones? Maybe short generic info on them: good host or not, good for beginners or not, lighting, flow

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll break the ice for you:

How can you tell the difference between an ocellaris and a percula?

Do the cheek spines on Maroons serve a purpose?
Premnas-biaculeatus-detail.jpg

You can tall the diffirence between Ocellaris and Prculas by looking at the spins and some even say the eyes.Ocellaris have 10 and Percula have about 11 IME.With the eyes,some say Ocellaris have a gold ring around the inside or the eye,but this is not a for sure way of saying yes this is a Ocellaris.

And from what Ive read,I havent heard of any advantige to the spine on the cheek of the Maroon clowns.

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do gorgeous clowns like chrys' turn so ***** in captivity :(

Well this is one of those questions where its hard to answer.With my experince with them,I think it depends on the host and whats fed.Ive seen alot of pretty ones and alot of ugly ones too,but a varied dite is the best and good stable water params are the key for these finiky fish.

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a list of hosts???? I really wanna host for my clowns but can't risk the nem and fuzzy shrooms out of the question... Could ya possibly throw up a quick list of names??? Thanks...;)

Okay I posted a sticky for ya!

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one that will apply to my tank downgrade:

What are the minimum tank sizes for the different types of clowns? What about pairs?
- Specifically want to know about Percs

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an idea, how the heck can you distinguish between Grade A ,B and C clowns ???? maybe you can create a thread that gives this info.

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one that will apply to my tank downgrade:

What are the minimum tank sizes for the different types of clowns? What about pairs?
- Specifically want to know about Percs

Perculas can be kep in a 20 gallon.Some have breed them in a 5 gallon also.but I wouldnt keep them in anything under a 15 gallon if you wanted them happy.Now with larger sp. like tomatos/maroons/clarkii/etc,they need atleast a 30 gallon IMO.Maroons mabey larger depending on their additude!

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an idea, how the heck can you distinguish between Grade A ,B and C clowns ???? maybe you can create a thread that gives this info.

Well thats easy!Not much to say about it but heres the quick run down!

Grade A Clownfish:More white coloration with much more complex barring patterns than Grade B or C.

Grade B Clownfish:Have nice patterns but not as much white as a Grade A.The barring pattern is diffirent and not as complex.You can also see Grade B clowns with really nice marking on one side and the other side almost full barring.Almost always Grade A's have complex baring on both side.Grade B can have complex barring on both sides,but it wont be as much white.

Grade C Clownfish:I consider these fish to be nothing but mis-bars with very little Picasso pattern if any pattern of such.

Hope that helps!

mlove

Reefing Peasant
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clowns (percula or ocellaris... don't really remember what I bought them as) in my BC14. They are both fairly small and the larger (I assume the female at this point) always picks on the smaller one. I thought she would eventually stop doing this but it has been this way for some time now. He is forced to live in a secluded little place in the rockwork while she runs around the entire tank. Should I take her back to the store and get a smaller clown that won't pick on the poor guy? Should I just let nature take its course and hope that as my corals become larger and provide more coverage he will be able to live a little more freely? Should I try to take both of them back and get two smaller clowns as it may be a space thing? Some advice would be great. Thanks!

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave them.Female clowns are female clowns.They are bossy,mean,and aggrsive!I would leave them IMO.

mlove

Reefing Peasant
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUMP need to make more threads!That do ya'll want to know!
I'd like to know about how the whole sexing thing works with clownfish. Do clownfish retain the ability to change their sex even after the juvenile stage?

Antonias1391

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think onyx are almost all black between bars, not completely tho. with some its stronger then others. the more black the better imo heres a vid of mine YouTube - clownfish pair 009.AVI there only black between the first bar but i think that still qualifiys if im correct.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.9%
Back