What would you do differently next time?

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just ordered a brand new tank, having always had nano tanks, never really had the space for much more than that until now. I’m upgrading to the new Reefer G2+ 300XL. I’m binning the rock from my current tank as it’s infested with massive vermetids, curing some marco rock as we speak while waiting for the tank to arrive.

I’m just wondering if any of you can share your upgrade stories, and whether there would be anything you would do differently if you did it again? :)

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most important things for me was a larger sump. Easier to maintain equipment, room to work with. Also eliminated filter socks for a larger overflow section for a filter roller.

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting roller mats sooner and getting a sump instead of an AIO
I’ve been lucky, been given an old Clarisea to start off with so hope that does me a while so I can save up for a reefmat. Bit short on space inside the cabinet for a bigger sump so I hope this does the trick!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make sure everything has a place and it's easily accessible. Maintenance won't happen if it's a major chore to get it done

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just ordered a brand new tank, having always had nano tanks, never really had the space for much more than that until now. I’m upgrading to the new Reefer G2+ 300XL. I’m binning the rock from my current tank as it’s infested with massive vermetids, curing some marco rock as we speak while waiting for the tank to arrive.

I’m just wondering if any of you can share your upgrade stories, and whether there would be anything you would do differently if you did it again? :)

My experience has been that success with smaller tanks doesn’t necessarily translate to larger tanks.

Under the guidance of many R2R members, all of my smaller tanks went from surviving to thriving.

But about 10 months ago, I upgraded to a 125 gallon and used a 30 long as a sump. My plan was to condense all of my smaller tanks into one large one.

Things didn’t go well.

I attribute the problem to be related to water chemistry. You see, I depended on water changes only to keep my chemistry stable and within acceptable ranges.

But water changes on such a large tank wasn’t practical, so I attempted a DSR method. But my dosing was incorrect, and the tank suffered.

I would suggest that you read up on dosing.

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has been that success with smaller tanks doesn’t necessarily translate to larger tanks.

Under the guidance of many R2R members, all of my smaller tanks went from surviving to thriving.

But about 10 months ago, I upgraded to a 125 gallon and used a 30 long as a sump. My plan was to condense all of my smaller tanks into one large one.

Things didn’t go well.

I attribute the problem to be related to water chemistry. You see, I depended on water changes only to keep my chemistry stable and within acceptable ranges.

But water changes on such a large tank wasn’t practical, so I attempted a DSR method. But my dosing was incorrect, and the tank suffered.

I would suggest that you read up on dosing.
Thank you for the insight, definitely a valid point. I’m already dosing my nanos due to uptake of Alk by sps that I have in them.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually after 30+ I went from large to nanos, still have larger systems too.
I think 50% live rock minimum perfect. I typically do 100% but did 50/50 on my 120 and it worked well. No substitution for good live rock,

Best advice I can give is to have a plan. Know what you want the tank to look like in a year, hard for some.
Have all your equipment before you start, part of the plan.

Make sure your ro/di system, and storage can handle the job, again before water hits the system.
Going from 2g WC to say 20g's as an example.

Quality non dc return pump and have a spare for everything. Equipment will break when stores are not open.

Have the proper chemistry on hand to deal with issues like high po4. Also your plan should include how you plan to deal with the issues that come up.

So for me its no different running a nano vs say a 120.

I run A4R on my nano, esv 2 part on my 45, and a carx on my 80/30.

A4R is great for nanos but I dont think I would use it on a larger system due to cost.
My 18" 20g nano cube is 5 months old and was started with all live rock.

My 30g that started as a fuge, it stripped my nutrients so its now has my breeding pair of clowns and their Nem, plus a little more, lol.
20230720_150009.jpg

20230513_154530.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the insight, definitely a valid point. I’m already dosing my nanos due to uptake of Alk by sps that I have in them.

Excellent. If you've had success dosing smaller tanks, I expect your transition to be problem-free.

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been lucky, been given an old Clarisea to start off with so hope that does me a while so I can save up for a reefmat. Bit short on space inside the cabinet for a bigger sump so I hope this does the trick!
I' ve got the advantage of having not a problem with cost, just want health in my reef...go slow and spend in moderation...but always let your dreams of a wonderful reef take the front seat...please keep me posted on your progress

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels... Never again..

Also, im starting a new reefer now.. Spent insane amounts of time building and looking @ my scape till i'm 100% happy with it. and also build a 'island' for zoas...
Interested to hear about your experience with them. Funny you should bring them up as I was reading an article about keeping a shoal of them today.

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I' ve got the advantage of having not a problem with cost, just want health in my reef...go slow and spend in moderation...but always let your dreams of a wonderful reef take the front seat...please keep me posted on your progress
I will be sure to do a build thread! It’s very exciting for me, I’ve always wanted a bigger tank and that day has finally arrived. I’m just trying to garner some solid advice now from you lovely people so I can make sure I have the best start possible!

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’d use a shallower sump. I currently use a 29g and it’s just a little awkward to get things in and out of given it’s proximity to the bottom of the tank.

You’re doing this but it’s worth reiterating. Cure whatever rock you get if used or previously used/dry, and test the water before putting into the display.

Be a lot more selective about what to put into the display. Too many palys for me now and they’re impossible to control without tearing the tank down and starting over.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.1%
Back