What would you do differently next time?

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be patient , when I first did my tank I was freaking out of all the algae and blooms and instead of trying to fix it all naturally I threw a chemical in the tank that led me to my worse case of Dino’s ever lol.

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extra return pump.
2 heaters in sump on an inkbird controller.
Pods, bacteria, phytoplankton.
Lights and WaveMaker app controlled
Don't go dumping chemicals in, sometimes a water change is all u need.

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’d use a shallower sump. I currently use a 29g and it’s just a little awkward to get things in and out of given it’s proximity to the bottom of the tank.

You’re doing this but it’s worth reiterating. Cure whatever rock you get if used or previously used/dry, and test the water before putting into the display.

Be a lot more selective about what to put into the display. Too many palys for me now and they’re impossible to control without tearing the tank down and starting over.

Absolutely agree with you with regards Palys. They have taken over my Red Sea Max nano and not in a pretty way either. I will never put Palys in my tank again! I will also not but putting in any encrusting montipora

Danny99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely start with RODI water. I’m running my tank since January and I was using a tap water (in my city it’s the best quality) but since short period of time I purchased RODI filter. I’m using it now by doing daily dosing and by WC each week. I’ve had some problems with algae, corals growth and so on, I strongly believe it was because of the water parameters. I didn’t check it though.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm late to the party, but I would've picked a different location (one closer to my RODI, water lines and drain). It also would've been nice to have a bonafide "fish room" with sink, counter space for all my "reef projects", etc.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get live rock from the ocean or someone breaking down a tank. Tried the whole cycling cooked rock for 5 months and waited 2-1/2 years to keep acros alive. Will reduce your headaches in the long run.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best advice I think I can give is to have a plan and stick to it. It's easy to get "pushed" in many directions based on the posts we read and videos we watch online. I've been doing this for many years and have seen all of the fads and changes along the way. Every time something new appears it's treated like the new standard... it's not. I've had many systems throughout the years and like everyone my first attempts were mediocre at best. Once I realized that sticking one plan, one system, slowing making changes and allowing time for things to develop everything changed for the better. "Use only live rock, no only dry rock, no a mix".... Hogwash. If you understand the natural course a reef system and plan for it many of the problems you see posted will not occur. Largest system I ever had was a 180 SPS Zeovit System and it thrived. Moved across country and everything had to go. Seven years later got back into the hobby with a 45 cube last November based on the Aquaforest System. Seven weeks ago upgraded and did a transfer to a NUVO 100EXT. For this system all dry AF Rock cooked for several months dosing multiple sources of bacteria and AF Life source. Ugly phase??? On day 5 I had a reddish/brown algae outbreak on the rock and sand. On day three of the outbreak it began to recede. By the morning of day six it was completely gone. Corals are thriving, fish are thriving. I stick to my plan, don't skip on any of my dosing and make sure that I continue to use the same multiple sources of bacteria that I used to cook the rock. Consistency and stability are everything. A natural biome will occur over time, not instantly. it's important that we put natural things in the system that will build that biome over time and lead to its stability.

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my very short experience, two things have stuck with me since I started nearly 2 years ago. I wish I didn't skimp on the tank and I wish I didn't go with black sand. A lesson learned that will not be forgotten lol

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot more options with fish and coral, and it's harder to catch some out. A stocking list is needed more in a big tank. Keep it as friendly as possible for as long as possible. While it's settling you may need certain inverts that more aggressive fish you add down the line would eat. Keep your options open. Don't jam 5 tangs in there off the bat, or a larger wrasse that will harass your cleanup crew.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 76.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.8%
Back