What would you do with this tank?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, you can 100% work with that. We did this at our facility. The back is open behind the rocks with two gyres pushing water down, there's an acrylic U at the bottom that makes water flow in an upwelling current up the wall.
20180713_092954.jpg

The curved back, bottom is an excellent idea . That would supply good up welling !

OP
OP
T

thediscobandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously like this look with a water fall or such Cool freshwater maybe?

I was actually just sketching up some plans for a waterfall paludarium setup. Maybe try a congo river biotope with african butterflyfish. Idk yet. Im not ready to undertake a reef setup with this tank at this time but it could happen sometime in the future. Were thinking alike though.

OP
OP
T

thediscobandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, you can 100% work with that. We did this at our facility. The back is open behind the rocks with two gyres pushing water down, there's an acrylic U at the bottom that makes water flow in an upwelling current up the wall.
20180713_092954.jpg

I see what you mean by why not just run powerheads from the overflow down and up through the bottom. Seems like wasting space vehind the rocks. That reef wall sure looks nice though.

OP
OP
T

thediscobandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously dude, where do you live? I want to buy that tank!

I live in central virginia. The tank may or may not go up for sale, depending on if i have the resources or permission from the lady to utilize it. Message me with an offer if youre serious at all.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you mean by why not just run powerheads from the overflow down and up through the bottom. Seems like wasting space vehind the rocks. That reef wall sure looks nice though.

The overflow is on the left of the system, that wouldn't make consistent flow. And this is in a public aquarium, equipment is usually out of sight. Also having a space allows there to be hiding space behind as well as allowing nothing to get trapped in rocks and we can keep it cleaner.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d sell it to someone with longer arms and bigger ideas than me.

Or use it for a mixing station.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoooooa nautilus tank. You just took these stocking suggestions off the deep end. I never wouldve thought of that.

Most experts in Cephalopods don't recommend Nautilus for home aquaria. They need COLD water... 18-20c, and bright lights will blind them. A LED 'nightlight' really, is all you would want. They're pretty sedentary, most of their swimming is vertical, so they need a tall tank. They're not terribly exciting to watch, very sensitive to poor water conditions... just not something that'd be at home in a typical home aquarium.

All that aside, I think they're some of the coolest critters in the sea.

I used to see them around from time to time, but don't see them as much anymore. Always wanted to try keeping them, but the extra high tank, cold water requirements always scared me off.

I've long had a thing for Cephalopods. Done tons of research on them, been a member of tonmo.com for decades. Never have made the leap. Octopus are the easiest, but with their short lifespans... well, I'm not sure they really belong in captivity. Nautilus would be great, they can live a long time, but the rather odd requirements always stopped me. Cuttlefish, if they were more easily available in the US, I would probably have tried by now. I seriously considered doing cuttles in my current tank for a while, it'd be ideal... but I like my reef too. Oh well. Someday.

OP
OP
T

thediscobandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most experts in Cephalopods don't recommend Nautilus for home aquaria. They need COLD water... 18-20c, and bright lights will blind them. A LED 'nightlight' really, is all you would want. They're pretty sedentary, most of their swimming is vertical, so they need a tall tank. They're not terribly exciting to watch, very sensitive to poor water conditions... just not something that'd be at home in a typical home aquarium.

All that aside, I think they're some of the coolest critters in the sea.

I used to see them around from time to time, but don't see them as much anymore. Always wanted to try keeping them, but the extra high tank, cold water requirements always scared me off.

I've long had a thing for Cephalopods. Done tons of research on them, been a member of tonmo.com for decades. Never have made the leap. Octopus are the easiest, but with their short lifespans... well, I'm not sure they really belong in captivity. Nautilus would be great, they can live a long time, but the rather odd requirements always stopped me. Cuttlefish, if they were more easily available in the US, I would probably have tried by now. I seriously considered doing cuttles in my current tank for a while, it'd be ideal... but I like my reef too. Oh well. Someday.

Im with you on the octopi. Ive never seen one thrive in a personal aquarium. Seems like youd need a monstrous reef tank to properly house one, with either no or many expendable tankmates.

It was a cool suggestion but im in no way equipped or motivated to set up a nautilus tank.

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually just sketching up some plans for a waterfall paludarium setup. Maybe try a congo river biotope with african butterflyfish. Idk yet. Im not ready to undertake a reef setup with this tank at this time but it could happen sometime in the future. Were thinking alike though.
If you're really interested in something like the tank design I posted earlier, I can probably dig up the build thread I had for it. Covered all the steps for building the fake tree, the rockwork I made, etc. I documented it all pretty in depth.

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) waterfall, well planted Dart frog terrarium.

2) grow mangroves and add several Batfish.

3) bare bottom freshwater tank with wood decoration and Discus.

4) saltwater with a rubble bottom for a harem of Pigmy angles and side ledges for multiple Royal Grammas and Cardinals. Add an assortment of mushrooms.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back