What would you do if this happened to you

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around 3 years ago I had a 15 gallon sump (15 gallon glass aquarium) under my 90g that had the side literally blown out by an older glass heater I had put in there to see if it still worked. Lessons learned- just buy new heaters, don't test anything that can explode in an active sump, always have shoes that can withstand glass on the floor ready to go.

My wife and I were watching tv/napping on the couch at 2 in the morning on a Friday night and hear a loud "pop". So here we are at 2 am and we had water pouring everywhere. The tanks are in the kitchen where we have tile floor and a 3/4 inch tall wooden divider that separates the hardwood floors in the living room from the kitchen tile. Luckily that kept the water in the kitchen only.

It was a disaster. I immediately ran to shut off the valve for the overflow to stop the DT from draining out further, then went for the fuse panel to shut off anything in that area (the fuse the heater was on had already popped) and my wife went for every towel we owned. Between headlamps, towels and a wet vac we got it sorted after about 3-4 hours enough to get some sleep then finish drying and damage assessment the next day.

This Sucks Season 3 GIF by The Office

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
noticed in the video she's apparently cold with a blanket and he's just in skivvies. :smirking-face:
Lol thats always me and my boyfriend! Im wrapped up in a blanket and he just has boxers lol. He would have gotten showered on though if this was my tank, he plays video games and sits on the floor!

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would clean up and make a decision as I would be devasted and sick to my stomach. In reality, another tank would be in order.
Seeing this has encouraged me to be on the lookout for a cheap 75-100g tank to keep in basement as an emergency tank to salvage livestock.

I bought one of those 100g Rubbemaid stock tanks from Tractor Supply to help with a long distance move and have kept it around for one of those “just in case” moments. Actually used it again when I wanted to swap tank stands.
Also have a 75g aquarium that I’ve used intermittently.

A full tank failure would have scarred the crap out of me if I was sitting there lol.
But cut power first.

Last edited:

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
First, I would panic. Then I would scoop up my all of my fish asap and place them in one of my frag systems. After that I would do the same with my inverts and corals.

To be completely honest, catastrophic failure such is this is a big part of the reason why I have multiple systems. I know it's probably weird, but my fish really mean a lot to me. I've had 90% of them for a really long time and my longest tenured fish has been with me since before my oldest kid was born, and she will be old enough to vote in this year's election.

This is something I thought about when our house was being built. I opted for upgraded (taller) base boards, water resistant paint for the base boards, tile flooring (ceramic, I think), and paid close attention to how well the caulking between the floor and the base boards was applied. It would not be fun to clean up, but I don't think something like this would really cause any damage to my house.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
. I also question how many people video themselves while watching TV :thinking-face:
This.

I bought an Alexa a couple years ago and had it for a few months. I then realized that I had always known big brother was going to try to bug my house from reading too much scifi. I just didn't realize they would trick me into spending 50 bucks to do it.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We prepare for water changes, some of us disease, power outages and temperature changes.
Many of us dont expect this while we are watching Tv or making a meal ( see video below). What would you do if suddenly this happened?

Who has a surveillance camera filming their living room?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much smaller scale and slower experience with a 32 gallon Biocube. Corner to corner crack across the bottom had water spewing up from the lower frame on the side of the tank. About the volume of a bath room faucet. Wife grabbed a pitcher to try and catch the leaking water. I pulled the power strip, grabbed buckets and tubs, the siphon and a net. Once we got about half the water out, I was able to grab all the livestock and corals into buckets. Set up heaters and bubblers and packed it in the next day.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. No words.

I have a couple of 80 gallon tanks in the basement that are not set up but that’s where most of the livestock can go. I need to do a better job at keeping at least 80 gallons of pre made saltwater ready to go.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Who has a surveillance camera filming their living room?
Its funny, I at first thought the same thing but then realize, many have an indoor camera for when they are gone during the day and some reefers with a Wyze camera at their tank

Allenh427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd chuck everything in my quarantine tank.

If I didn't have that luxury, I'd fill up a brute can with 10gal of temperature matched tap water and start mixing in salt with the fish inside.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This.

I bought an Alexa a couple years ago and had it for a few months. I then realized that I had always known big brother was going to try to bug my house from reading too much scifi. I just didn't realize they would trick me into spending 50 bucks to do it.
That's funny. I got an Alexa speaker in a package deal a couple of years ago. Set it up and thought I had it turned off and when I spoke it woke up and wanted to assist. Too much sci-fi I've read has come true so I'm a bit cautious at least about the tech in the house which is all I can control. I turned it off permanently. Tape over all laptop cameras and stuff like that too. Probably a lost cause but it makes me feel better :zany-face:

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my tank this is probably what my neighbors would see... LOL. Just kidding, i'd probably panic so hard i'd start hyperventilating then remember i bought a 40 gallon kiddie pool for a reason and keep roughly 20 gal of salt water too LOL

Attachments

• its-the-most-wonderful-time-of-the-year-v0-k291bonlcq2c1.jpeg
    its-the-most-wonderful-time-of-the-year-v0-k291bonlcq2c1.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 20

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%

Back