What would you do with this tank?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wouldn't you say what company you bought the tanks from? If they screwed up that bad, it could potentially save others from the same problems. A company that can't get L x W x H figured out is definitely not a place people would want to order from ;).

As for that 4ft high tank, you really can't do anything practical with it. Take it somewhere and have them cut the height in half and then you can do something with it.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why not just use artificial Coral and drop some fish in it? I think that would be amazing as an in wall tank. I know we all like live Coral, but...

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do small rubble rock on the bottom of the tank. From the half way point on up I would glue/putty Staghorn coral on three sides. The end goal would be a tank that is completely stags grown together to form a branching mesh. The bottom half would be open. It could be pretty dramatic.
If I EVER get around to setting up my tank idea its only going to be stags.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thediscobandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wouldn't you say what company you bought the tanks from? If they screwed up that bad, it could potentially save others from the same problems. A company that can't get L x W x H figured out is definitely not a place people would want to order from ;).

As for that 4ft high tank, you really can't do anything practical with it. Take it somewhere and have them cut the height in half and then you can do something with it.

I just dont publicize info like that any more. I could say any company that i had a grudge against and it would hurt their reputation and no one would be the wiser. Besides, i like the tanks. Theyre well built, and if im interpreting this whole thing correctly and they did give me a free tank then i say my problems are resolved.

I like the cutting in half idea. I could probably make two rimless 90 gallon tanks. Only problem is that end wall painted black.

I actually had an idea of removing the top and overflow wall (carefully), cutting the overflow wall to 36", flip the tank on its other end, and replacing where the top was with the overflow, effectively turning it into a 48x24x36 peninsula tank, which i could get pretty excited about. Seems like a job requiring a little more precision than i can manage myself though.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That could be a really rad seahorse tank. :D

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe a remote deep sand bed for another display/sump system LOL
Could be used for a reservoir of some kind as well...maybe for storing RODI or mixed saltwater in?

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the garden eel with seahorse tank would be a great use of it. Can have a real deep sand bed and still have tons of vertical space that the horses like. On top of that, both are non aggressive feeders and both require the same kind of specialized feeding so would go great together. Plus would be super unique and neat.

Could also do a really deep root mangrove system and get a small fish that will school in the roots.

Octopus cave could be really cool if you wanted to build some artificial rock work on to the wall.

If you don't want fish, that would make a great tree frog tank too. Here's mine from way back when to give you an idea.

FB_IMG_1531311588091.jpg

Jose padilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short, i acquired a rather oddball tank for free. Here it is:
20180804_110707.jpg

Its a 36"x24"x48" 170 gallon. Yes thats right 4 ft tall. Set up for an in-wall or maybe some kind of enclosed island setup cause the 24" end are painted black. Im not really sure. Coast to coast external overflow with 3 holes for 1" bulkheads on one end and two 1" return holes on the other. 1" acrylic all around. Really a bizarre tank imo.

Ive no doubt it could be an awesome tank. How would you scape? How could i set up effective lighting for such a deep tank? What would you stock?
Rock work on the sides with gorgonians plants and seahorses

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Seems like you'd need a remote sump of some sort. behind a wall or something. Would be cool to put ledges on the side with the black - and attach corals - with low-light corals on the bottom? Maintenance (moving things around) would be a major hassle lol - unless you have really long arms - but there are also tools you can buy to move stuff around. A magnet would clean the front.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super deep sand bed for jawfish. Like 12". Also some fish need the hight to spawn.

If the acrylic is thick im sure it was ordered that way. If its thin its a mix up.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the garden eel with seahorse tank would be a great use of it. Can have a real deep sand bed and still have tons of vertical space that the horses like. On top of that, both are non aggressive feeders and both require the same kind of specialized feeding so would go great together. Plus would be super unique and neat.

Could also do a really deep root mangrove system and get a small fish that will school in the roots.

Octopus cave could be really cool if you wanted to build some artificial rock work on to the wall.

If you don't want fish, that would make a great tree frog tank too. Here's mine from way back when to give you an idea.

FB_IMG_1531311588091.jpg
I seriously like this look with a water fall or such Cool freshwater maybe?

Last edited:

CAMAKAZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large spearing mantis shrimp. Like a zebra. 12 in deep sand bed for him to burrow.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotta be something it would be really good for. Perhaps not for fish?
I'm very curious what it was intended for. Maybe contact the builder & find out. No names mentioned .

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back