What's a good testing kit

  • Thread starter Thread starter johnny4491
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

johnny4491

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 30, 2015
Messages
681
Reaction score
193
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a test kit that's accurate i am currently using the test strips but doesn't read ammonia so I something separate inside the tank that reads that but I want something that does all at once ? Thanks for the help
 
Salifert and Red Sea are both in my opinion the best titration kits out there. Both however read oppsoite in terms of finding the final value with their syringes. The RedSea kits are much nicer and built to last much longer then the Salifert kits.....
 
Most people don't test for nh4. There is a seachem sticker thing you can put in the tank and it measures it all the time
 
Ammonia should only be present , after initial cycle, if something dies. So counting fish , and generally observing things tells you no ammonia.
 
once the tank is cycled most people don't test for ammonia and nitrite so I would use api for those unless your tank is already cycled. Red sea makes a reef foundation kit including mag,cal, and alk. I use a salifert nitrate test kit and a hanna meter for phosphates. The nice thing about red sea kits is some of them you can just buy new reagents instead of a new kit.
 
How do u know your tank is cycled I know I might sound dumb but I new to this because when I got my tank running they gave me some liquid to kick start everything so I thought I was already good but now I'm totally lost lol someone help because I already have fish and coral in my tank
 
Your tank is considered cycled when ammonia and nitrites read zero and stays zero for a while. At this point you should show some nitrates but never ammonia or nitrites.
 
I really like Red Sea, especially for Alk. Just one reagent to use. They're a little more than Salifert, but you can get refills for them which brings down costs considerably. Probably a lot cheaper in the long run.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new