What's going on with these Zoas?

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Magician Zoas for about 2 months now. The frag started with 5 polyps and now it has 9 polyps. Over the last week the 'old' polyps have started looking 'weird' (pardon my Zoa ignorance). Any theories what's going on? Tank parameters/lighting have not changed. You can see the new/small polyps still have the 'normal' Zoa shape.

00000044.jpg

Issue #2. I noticed some weird stuff growing in my Rasta frag. The Rasta frag has also been in my tank for about 2 months. Any theories what this thing is growing in the Zoa?

Thanks.

00000038.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Magician Zoas for about 2 months now. The frag started with 5 polyps and now it has 9 polyps. Over the last week the 'old' polyps have started looking 'weird' (pardon my Zoa ignorance). Any theories what's going on? Tank parameters/lighting have not changed. You can see the new/small polyps still have the 'normal' Zoa shape.

00000044.jpg

Issue #2. I noticed some weird stuff growing in my Rasta frag. The Rasta frag has also been in my tank for about 2 months. Any theories what this thing is growing in the Zoa?

Thanks.

00000038.jpg
The Rasta has what looks like a chaetomorpha linum growing in it,
The magician zoas however, I can’t act like I know what’s happening with them, I’ve only ever owned two zoa frags (both were an expensive dinner for the Foxface)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be appropriate to try and tweezer the 'weed' out?
You can try however, be careful with the Zoas and their palytoxins, I don’t recommend getting rid of the algae completely though since it can come in use with things like nutrients being balanced out

OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try however, be careful with the Zoas and their palytoxins, I don’t recommend getting rid of the algae completely though since it can come in use with things like nutrients being balanced out
None of the brightly colored “designer” zoa have palytoxin. It’s the ugly brown Palys that grow wild that are bad for it. I barehanded frag zoa all the time and never get sick. @footgal on the umbrella syndrome but I’m pretty sure we don’t know why they do that. Mine do it on occasion for like a day or two then go back to normal. If they aren’t melting I wouldn’t bother them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back