whats happening with my BTA

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the nem has been in the tank going on 6 weeks under the same lighting i havent turned it up or down i first thought maybe the clownfish was being rough with it because it would shrivel up after a few hours sometimes but now im not sure whats going on with it numbers are below first picture is how it looked after being in the tank for 2 days the last 2 are how it looks at the moment tank is 9 months old using luxbird 168w led lights below at 40% intensity lights stays on 10am to 8pm

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5
phosphate .05
calcium 410
mag 1290
dkh 8.9

20200217_160236.jpg IMG_20200330_164619.jpg IMG_20200330_164627.jpg

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if it matters but i was running UV for about a month for dinos but turned it off about 2-3 weeks ago

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure others will chime in, but 10:00 - 8:00 is a long photoperiod... bump it down slowly - the typically is around 8 hours.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually run my lights for about 12 hours a day, no issues! :)
I'm sure others will chime in, but 10:00 - 8:00 is a long photoperiod... bump it down slowly - the typically is around 8 hours.
yea i was going to mention some people run longer then 10 hours i thought 10 hours would right in the middle

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i was going to mention some people run longer then 10 hours i thought 10 hours would right in the middle

Yes, intensities could be different though. The nem looks bleached and your other parameters seem to be in line, unless you've had parameter swings recently - that can do it too. Either way, hope you can get it back to being healthy!

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running 300w led for about 11 hours @ 50%. 8 hours of white and blue and 11 of blue. If anything would wonder if lightning was strong enough @ 168w.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running 300w led for about 11 hours @ 50%. 8 hours of white and blue and 11 of blue. If anything would wonder if lightning was strong enough @ 168w.
i could try turning up the light see if that helped any but if the light wasn't strong enough wouldn't it try to go to the top of the rock work to get the most light?

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh forgot to mention i have 3 of those lights over a 150g 6f long tank its about 6 inches off the water surface
Maybe not light intensity then. Salinity and temp have been stable? Does it accept small amounts of food anymore? I've heard some claim bleached nems can get better if you can feed them to give them energy enough to grown new zooxanthella and also that if they refuse small shrimp pieces its probably too far gone.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not light intensity then. Salinity and temp have been stable? Does it accept small amounts of food anymore? I've heard some claim bleached nems can get better if you can feed them to give them energy enough to grown new zooxanthella and also that if they refuse small shrimp pieces its probably too far gone.
ive actually never tried to feed the nem that might be something i will try next and salinity and temp is stable yea i have an ato

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive actually never tried to feed the nem that might be something i will try next and salinity and temp is stable yea i have an ato
Try just a very small piece though and see if it moves it with tentacles to mouth. Too large and it may have trouble digesting. I actually don't feed mine at all directly as light is normally enough. Whatever drifts in that my fish miss or clown leaves is all they usually get.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i thought it was getting better but today i found it shriveled up in the corner of the tank it released its foot from the rock now its laying on the sand should i remove it? or is it still alive

IMG_20200412_123043.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd pull it and give it a sniff, if it doesn't smell rotten and is still responsive to touch, I would either try placing it on a rock in low flow and see if it reattaches or QT it. If it smells rotten, then it's done. However, that nem still looks viable to me. Extremely unhappy with it's environment, but it doesn't seem to be melting. I don't know, maybe it's mouth is inside out of the other side though, hard to tell from the pic.

At this point, if you know someone with an established tank, it might be good to rehome it either permanently or temporarily and see if it recovers. This will give you and your tank more time to stabilize and try again when the nem is full strength, not near death.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, if you know someone with an established tank, it might be good to rehome it either permanently or temporarily and see if it recovers. This will give you and your tank more time to stabilize and try again when the nem is full strength, not near death.
i dont think my tank being 9 months old had anything to do with the nem being the way it is ive been reefing for decades this isnt my first nem and i wouldnt place one in my tank until i thought my tank was ready for one but thanks for the advice

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back