What's in your water?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While many of us have ICP tests done with our reef tanks, many test TDS and assume all is good. We may have good readings for ammonia, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, alk and magnesium and have the green light for satisfaction but what about the actual water coming into the RODI units and for those that take a chance and use tap water for top off or emergency water?

I just requested a report from my water utility company and while the elements listed were not in violation, there were traces of :
Aluminum
Barium
iodine
chloriform
bromide
copper
Deet (for mosquitos)
Flouride
lead
magnesium
manganese
molybdenum
nitrate
stronium
sulfate
Tin
uranium
vanadium

. . . . . and More

How many of us actually request a report and how do you feel about finding these elements in your water?

I was not overly excited when I saw the values listed but made me wonder, with the salt mixes that contain many of these items already and dosing of certain elements, can these items alter our desired chemistry or even explain items often found in ICP tests?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, a main reason for RO/DI is to reduce the potential for copper, which is allowed in drinking water at levels far above what is OK in a reef tank.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know that when I run my TDS meter on the water going into my RO/DI unit I'm seeing 500 TDS going in and 0 coming out.. My first filter really shows how much crap is pulled out but will see how long the membrane lasts. I do a revers flush after making water so hopefully it lasts a while.

I dont trust the water here, in the summer it really smells and I have asked in the past but never did recieve a list of whats in the water. The local RO water shop here is where I used to buy my water from did show me the list and all I know is it was a real long list. I stopped buying water from them because they claim to have 4 TDS but in fact to have 10 TDS so I just bought a RO/DI from BRS with the pressure gague and TDS meter. Much happier using it then driving back n forth every week and have piece of mind whats going into the tank.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do know that when I run my TDS meter on the water going into my RO/DI unit I'm seeing 500 TDS going in and 0 coming out.. My first filter really shows how much crap is pulled out but will see how long the membrane lasts. I do a revers flush after making water so hopefully it lasts a while.

I dont trust the water here, in the summer it really smells and I have asked in the past but never did recieve a list of whats in the water. The local RO water shop here is where I used to buy my water from did show me the list and all I know is it was a real long list. I stopped buying water from them because they claim to have 4 TDS but in fact to have 10 TDS so I just bought a RO/DI from BRS with the pressure gague and TDS meter. Much happier using it then driving back n forth every week and have piece of mind whats going into the tank.
Where is Brandon, so others in your area are aware

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is my well water sample from 09/22 via ATI ICP:

Well Water ATI ICP 1.jpg

Well Water ATI ICP 2.jpg

Well Water ATI ICP.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is my well water sample from 09/22 via ATI ICP:

Well Water ATI ICP.jpg
Shame on me- 11 years of well water and I never had it tested. I ran a whole house filter , RODI, and digital softener.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shame on me- 11 years of well water and I never had it tested. I ran a whole house filter , RODI, and digital softener.

Yeah, I thought hey, I should check my source water as well. Since ATI tests RODI, I just used that vial and filled with my well water. Time for another ICP on my tank, so I'll do it again to see if there were any changes. I use a spin down prefilter and a sediment\carbon filter via a 'big blue' from duPont for the whole house.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had problems with high TDS on city water in the past to the point of them being cited by the EPA. At least according to my RODI I have about 35 in and 0 out now. I'm sure if I tested the water there's other nasties in there. Eventually I will do a ICP for my RO water. For all the bad stuff I'm more concerned about the things that don't show up in typical testing like estrogen and pharmaceuticals both for drinking and RO.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back