What's missing in your LFS?

trvsty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Even the best LFS is always missing something you want in it. What is it for you? Is it a specific product? Or maybe a fish/coral you wish they could carry more often?

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angel fish, only seen 2 since last August and 1 of them wasn’t even for sale really want one

OP
OP
T

trvsty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should rephrase the question:
What issues do you see that stand out in your local fish stores? What would you like changed?

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quality store :confused:

Mine is the type where if you're a 12 year old kid and walk in on a non busy day because you know you'll want to ask a bunch of questions, they'll sell you something that'll get 4 ft long for a 10 gallon tank. Then when you come back upset because you ran through every detail and they assured you it'd be fine, until you got home and looked it up, they insist that the fish will only grow as big as its tank allows. The fish I got for cycling my first 36 gallon saltwater tank was an Oriental Sweetlips.

OP
OP
T

trvsty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't really a product but rather a feature. I would say a coral QT. Most LFS I know of have their frag tanks littered with aiptasia, vermatids, bubble algae, etc. It just shows a lack of care.
i've seen this a lot too, especially in stores where saltwater isn't really a big part of it

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store!!! No quality stores in ATL, IMO.

Don’t hold back:D:)

I guess I should rephrase the question:
What issues do you see that stand out in your local fish stores? What would you like changed?

I like the question. You can edit titles if you need to, but I liked it.

It is a hard question to answer. I look at stores in 4 sections. Dry goods, fish, coral, fresh. There is so much dry goods it would cost the store way too much to stock everything, but they should carry at least some of the most popular. Fish and coral I think the store is somewhat at mercy of the wholesaler stock and the local reefer frag trade ins. Fresh, no one cares (waiting for the rocks to be thrown:D)

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I look at stores, I look at the quality and health of the fish and corals. Maybe I am just to picky. I have tangs in my tank, and I know what fighting damage looks like with them stabbing each other with their barbs. When I see tissue recession and skeletons on the corals, :rolleyes: .

What is worse is that I have been to WWC, TSA, and LRO stores and they showed me that stores can look good, clean, and have healthy fish and corals.

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to order as much as I can from the fish store, however it is extremely hard for them to stock as much as an online retailer so typically missing whatever it is I am looking for. If I had to choose 1 thing to change, it would be to offer fully QT'd fish/coral/inverts.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
- That good pricing
- The sales and promos they used to have

Meatball_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices.

The store near me never has any livestock marked - you have to ask about everything.

I can't see any good reason for it besides letting them rip newbies off.

Totally agree. I've seen stores where most of the prices that are written on the tanks are livestock that isn't even in there. Annoying to have to keep asking staff how much things are. Although I'd probably attribute it to laziness rather than trying to rip people off (at least I'd like to hope...).

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. I've seen stores where most of the prices that are written on the tanks are livestock that isn't even in there. Annoying to have to keep asking staff how much things are. Although I'd probably attribute it to laziness rather than trying to rip people off (at least I'd like to hope...).

Like half the fish in this place have notes on the tank that they're not for sale - and a lot of corals. From what Ive heard they have a a couple of the owners friends who pick through everything when it comes in, and get it for almost nothing, and everyone else pays higher prices for whats left.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is missing me . I would have to wait 40 min outside to get in . Then everything’s price jacked up to . The waiting is the worst, it’s so bad I set up my own RODI station in the basement. I got to move on .

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back