What's missing in your LFS?

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several fish stores near me. I live just north of Denver CO. I have 5 stores I visit regularly. They are all decent but my favorite is Elite Reef. They have really clean tanks and their presentation is top notch. I even love their in house made frozen food mix. That being said... I wish just one of the local stores would carry the buckets of Tropic Marin salt. I hate ordering it online because it ALWAYS comes damaged with salt leaking everywhere. I think a dedicated salt water fish store should carry some of the top quality salt brands.

Alanna102499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No LFS in my hometown, but a couple decent ones within 20 miles, the closest one Never has AB+, never has “clean” corals either.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local guys are missing a few things:

1) Common, sensible fish. I see hippo tangs, lionfish, scorpion fish, groupers and juvenile large angels. I rarely see wrasse's, anthias, Cardinals or anything else commonly seen in reef systems under 200 gallons.

2) Lighting for sale. Like... there is everything to build a reef tank, except lights.

3) Live foods. Only frozen/packaged and bottles of "live" pods that look very, very not alive.

Davis Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel pretty spoiled being in SoCal. There's the fair share of stores with poorly maintained, algae ridden tanks, but there are also plenty of options of LFS' that have high quality stuff.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where? I'm in Acworth and Optimum Aquarium is pretty bad for fish care.
Premium Aquatics isn't bad, they are in Marietta, just off of the 120 by-pass, aka S Marietta Pkwy. Pure Reef isn't bad either, they are in Milton, I just feel they could do better. I am picky about what go's in my tank and how they look.

rgunn1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where? I'm in Acworth and Optimum Aquarium is pretty bad for fish care.
I’m also in Acworth! Premier Aquatics in Marietta is a nice store. Prices are a little high. Pure Reef is also a great store but it’s a little bit of a drive (Alpharetta). Creation in Woodstock is hit or miss but they turned into a full pet store with reptiles and dog supplies and their fish/coral selection seems to have suffered.

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Even the best LFS is always missing something you want in it. What is it for you? Is it a specific product? Or maybe a fish/coral you wish they could carry more often?
Wish they had cleaner shrimp more often and not charge an arm and a leg for one! Would be really nice to get some good and fair prices on coral. Would love for my lfs to keep their saltmix at a stable salinity and not be different in every purchase!

rgunn1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Premium Aquatics isn't bad, they are in Marietta, just off of the 120 by-pass, aka S Marietta Pkwy. Pure Reef isn't bad either, they are in Milton, I just feel they could do better. I am picky about what go's in my tank and how they look.
Funny, we both mentioned the same two stores!

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vivid needs a better fish selection... Amazing store for coral especially if you like SPS, but their fish selection is lacking.
I wish they also carried Reef Frenzy.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, we both mentioned the same two stores!
They are the only 2 stores I would buy dry goods from. I bought my 120 gal tank from Pure Reef. Dry goods from either store isn't an issue as they both offer high end stuff, aka Neptune, Ecotech, and such.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your question is "what is missing at the LFS" - LFS = Local Fish Store - what is missing is the FISH! The stores near me mainly focus on reefs and coral. They have lots of frags, and a few tanks with fish or a few fish in with the corals.
Living in Florida - this sorta surprises me. There has to be some breeders in the area.

DCarlos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had a LFS. I have to drive over an hour to just find one.

As far as what I wish the one I like to attend has is... more food options - they only sell their personal pellets. An automated update system on livestock for their website would be nice. I’d also like if they sold equipment - not anything specific but it would be nice if they had equipment in the event some of our own fail.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything related to salt water unfortunately. Nearest LFS that deals in reefing is over 90 miles away.
yeah Wisconsin is pretty dry for local stores although has a big online game. LiveAquaria is in Rhinelander.

My local store is alright for salt water fish, they do have some coral but I might be the only person that has ever bought any of it because I know the frags by heart.. Definitely could do better on the coral side.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back