Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current levels:
nitrate phosphate Calcium
AlkMagpH

I've been raising my nitrate by about .5/day
All other levels have been pretty steady without any dosing

I'm getting a bit of hair algae starting to grow in spots and some cyano. These are easily removed and isn't plague proportions. I've also started a chaeto reactor, but I'm not exactly sure if it's growing, doing nothing, or dying (too soon to tell as it's only been about a week).

Should I just keep dosing until I hit around 10 Nitrates and then start to focus on lowering phosphate if algae/cyano continue to grow? I'm trying to move slowly, but do want to be prepared for my next steps.

OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the test kit, I would go for 5ppm nitrate.
Using the Hanna LR at the moment.

At what point should I consider lowering phosphates? I really want to keep the cyano from growing as that is a bit more prevalent than the hair algae. But I'm not even sure what is driving that growth.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this all the time, but isn't the answer always the same? I want my corals to grow, but keep the cyano/algaes/dinos away while doing so
So, my question is specific to your tank/situation. It's next to impossible to tell you "what's next" if we don't have a description of the problem, even better would be photos.
Also need to know what type of cuc you have, how long the tank's been running, etc.

OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my question is specific to your tank/situation. It's next to impossible to tell you "what's next" if we don't have a description of the problem, even better would be photos.
Also need to know what type of cuc you have, how long the tank's been running, etc.
Got it...

Tanks been up for about 4 years, however circumstances led it to be neglected for about 2 years. I've recently got back to it and have gotten most things straightened out. So now as I mentioned my levels for Nitrate I've been lifting since they were at 0. Phos has been pretty consitant with a high of .2 and a low of .13.

Since I have some cyano and hair algae I really want to control and not let it get out of hand I wanted to see if I should continue to raise my Nitrate to 10 which is commonly suggested and then try to lower phosphate. Or is it best to attempt both together?

Clean up crew was recently added and has a group of nassarius, perriwinkle, astrea, and a bunch of dwarf ceriths. Too many to count

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the Hanna LR at the moment.

At what point should I consider lowering phosphates? I really want to keep the cyano from growing as that is a bit more prevalent than the hair algae. But I'm not even sure what is driving that growth.

Keeping the nitrate above 0 will let the chaeto begin to lower the phosphates. I prefer phosphates above the minimum of my test kit (hanna ulr phosphate) and below 0.1ppm.

OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of corals do you have?
Mixed reef
bubble tip, rock flowers, handful of acros, euphyllia, cyph, lepto, zoas ...so a little bit of everything.

Also, it's a 75 gallon with 20 gallon sump.
Two cinnamon clowns, Leopard wrasse, and Banggai Cardinal

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed reef
bubble tip, rock flowers, handful of acros, euphyllia, cyph, lepto, zoas ...so a little bit of everything.

And started a 25 watt UV sterilizer about a week ago as well.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed reef

Then you'll want your nitrates at LEAST 10, preferably 20 or higher.

OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you'll want your nitrates at LEAST 10, preferably 20 or higher.
Right, my goal is to raise it to 10, but at what point should I focus on phosphates. Same time? Wait until I reach the 10 ppm nitrate level? Are phosphates fine where they are, or is that part of my issue? I always read 10 nitrate .03 phosphate, but then I get the every tank is different. So I was just looking for a few opinions on what levels should I be looking at to keep the nuisance algae in check. And in what order

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, my goal is to raise it to 10, but at what point should I focus on phosphates. Same time? Wait until I reach the 10 ppm nitrate level? Are phosphates fine where they are, or is that part of my issue? I always read 10 nitrate .03 phosphate, but then I get the every tank is different. So I was just looking for a few opinions on what levels should I be looking at to keep the nuisance algae in check. And in what order
Phos between 0.1 and 1.0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back