What's on the bottom and why do you love it or hate?

How much do you like your current substrate?

• Love it

Votes: 157 30.3%
  • Like it

Votes: 260 50.2%
  • Thinking of changing it

Votes: 59 11.4%
  • Don't like it

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • Hate it

Votes: 14 2.7%
  • Changing is out ASAP

Votes: 8 1.5%

• Total voters

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom tank here. I don't like cleaning the detritus that builds up. I've been meaning to fashion some sort of vacuum cleaner to do it without doing a water change. once that's solve I will be golden!

You can place a powerhead to keep it circulating to be collected via filtration. Mine collects in an area and every once in a while I'll siphon it out when I do a water change. Not doing many water changes these days anyways so when I have to it helps me stay in tune with the tank.

Brad ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I have a simple question for you! Us reefers change our mind about things and decisions all the time when it comes to our reef tanks. This includes our aquarium substrate! Are you happy with what you got?

1. What substrate are you using in your reef tank?

2. Why do you love it or hate?

3. What would you or are you going to change it to?

image via Ryunosuke Sera
Screenshot_2020-03-25 My Reef Tank (1st, Mar, 2015)(1).jpg
Bare bottom covered with beautiful coraline algae until the Dino’s decide to carpet it

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CaribSea Aragonite Special Grade. Love it. Small enough to be ok for sand sleepers but large enough to stay put with heavy flow.

MaugieDawgieCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiji pink. Absolutely love it. Also extremely white and clean from the diamond goby. Moves around a little bit but not enough to regret having it. A reef tank with white sand looks so much better imo. Don’t think I would ever go bare bottom.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiji pink. Absolutely love it. Also extremely white and clean from the diamond goby. Moves around a little bit but not enough to regret having it. A reef tank with white sand looks so much better imo. Don’t think I would ever go bare bottom.

Well a reef tank with a covered bottom of zoanthids also look really good

RosieSkys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 55G DT, I have crushed coral. Don't remember the brand because I've had it since the 90's. I would really like to add some wrassesto my tank so I'm thinking of adding something a little finer grind that is more wrasse friend. I have plenty of critters that keep it turned such as my burrowing gobies and Pistol shrimp, my sand shifting stars, conches and blue leg hermits. I do siphon clean a bit from time to time but not often.
My 10G coral QT I have lots of live rock, caulerpa, a few hermits and a ton of little abalone-type algae eaters but it is BB. Easy to siphon or use a turkey baster to clean out debris.
Both work but I really prefer my DT with substrate on the bottom.

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately i been noticing lots of tanks using GSP to cover the bottom of the tank and it looks beautiful, heres a pic, is NOT my tank, i think is very cool. may do this on the future.
D6CB3109-6A0D-4BD2-9BA6-9C8350E588D6.jpeg
I am embarrassed to say I never thought of grass on the bare bottom. It looks really great but would just have to keep it off the side glass.

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sugar fine sand ranging from 4 to 6 inches . I'm very happy with it . I've had it for 4 years now with no problems. My fish and crabs dig in it so from day to day it looks different.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bdehlin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently using Caribsea Special Grade dry sand and like it a lot! It looks more like a natural reef to me and doesn't blow around like the Fiji Pink I've had in past tanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back