OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely worth it to learn raspberry pie! I have not worked with that yet, but I worked with a relative, Arduino. I have plans to make my own lights for my main tank, especially color-effect lights for the back of the tank to simulate morning/noon/evening/moonlight as desired. Raspberry pie will likely be my go-to controller after discussions with my brother than is an electrical engineer.

Since I am a design engineer, I'm very familiar with CAD, primarily SolidWorks. Almost all my plans start in CAD, sometimes to the point of complete fabrication drawings, bills-of-materials, and lists for cutting material and planning stock material needed.
My understanding is that Arduino is more open ended than raspberry pie. I wonder if the raspberry pie thread here has something I can pilfer... It's supposed to be an open-source reef control software. program a clock, on/off for the light, maybe randomize intensity for the return pump. maybe I'll just run it through a potentiometer.

Add on an ATO if the setup has longevity.

I'm fumbling through fusion. I want to get better as I have other house projects that could benefit from the bills of materials and cut lists etc. Right now that is easier done in my head and 3 trips to the hardware store.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captain America Hang Head GIF

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that Arduino is more open ended than raspberry pie. I wonder if the raspberry pie thread here has something I can pilfer... It's supposed to be an open-source reef control software. program a clock, on/off for the light, maybe randomize intensity for the return pump. maybe I'll just run it through a potentiometer.

Add on an ATO if the setup has longevity.

I'm fumbling through fusion. I want to get better as I have other house projects that could benefit from the bills of materials and cut lists etc. Right now that is easier done in my head and 3 trips to the hardware store.
Arduino is more open-ended. It is much more than a micro-controller. Raspberry Pi is a simpler micro-controller.
Potentiometer could work well for intensity control.

I've read through the Raspberry Pi thread on open-source reef control. It's a good source that I plan to check out in depth in the future when working with making my controls.

3D CAD, BOM's, and cutlists are definitely helpful, but sometimes they take more time than they save for a small project.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arduino is more open-ended. It is much more than a micro-controller. Raspberry Pi is a simpler micro-controller.

I've read through the Raspberry Pi thread on open-source reef control. It's a good source that I plan to check out in depth in the future when working with making my controls.

3D CAD, BOM's, and cutlists are definitely helpful, but sometimes they take more time than they save for a small project.
which one would be easier to learn, pi or arduino?

also 4:04 marshall not found

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which one would be easier to learn, pi or arduino?

also 4:04 marshall not found
Raspberry Pi is easier from what I know off the top of my head. I was introduced to Arduino in a college engineering class on circuits, so higher complexity was acceptable.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raspberry Pi is easier from what I know off the top of my head. I was introduced to Arduino in a college engineering class on circuits, so higher complexity was acceptable.
I can see it now, the look on my wife's face when I come home with yet another project and thing to learn.

come to think of it, my father-in-law was a computer scientist (I think) with the air force, he might be able to code it for me.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Far be it from me to correct anyone but this information is simply not true. An Arduino is a simple microcontroller. Raspberry Pi is more of a microprocessor or more of a computer. An Arduino is good for simple, repetitive tasks. Raspberry Pi is better for multiple tasks. In short, Raspberry Pi can do everything an Arduino does and a lot more. This is also reflected in pricing and, as of the last year, or so, Raspberry Pies are difficult to come by as they were not set up to handle the explosion in demand between commercial and personal uses. An Arduino is better for beginners. Both serve purposes but knowing what your use will be is paramount.

If you're referring to "reef-pi" developed by my friend Ranjib, it can and will control every aspect of automation for an aquarium. There are a number of iterations and they are currently on 6.0 in which they incorporated an ESP32. Unfortunately, the Adafruit is not currently up-to-date- with the latest guides. This project is an immense amount of work and Ranjib also maintains a full time job, homelife with kids, etc. and there are any number of very gifted people over on the thread.

Here is a quick read about Arduino and Raspberry Pi technology. It's pretty informative while also being short.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - I am not even sure how I found this thread but you're stuck with me... again!

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Far be it from me to correct anyone but this information is simply not true. An Arduino is a simple microcontroller. Raspberry Pi is more of a microprocessor or more of a computer. An Arduino is good for simple, repetitive tasks. Raspberry Pi is better for multiple tasks. In short, Raspberry Pi can do everything an Arduino does and a lot more. This is also reflected in pricing and, as of the last year, or so, Raspberry Pies are difficult to come by as they were not set up to handle the explosion in demand between commercial and personal uses. An Arduino is better for beginners. Both serve purposes but knowing what your use will be is paramount.

If you're referring to "reef-pi" developed by my friend Ranjib, it can and will control every aspect of automation for an aquarium. There are a number of iterations and they are currently on 6.0 in which they incorporated an ESP32. Unfortunately, the Adafruit is not currently up-to-date- with the latest guides. This project is an immense amount of work and Ranjib also maintains a full time job, homelife with kids, etc. and there are any number of very gifted people over on the thread.

Here is a quick read about Arduino and Raspberry Pi technology. It's pretty informative while also being short.

Thanks for the correction, @crusso1993 .
You are correct. I used the wrong terms. What I meant by "microcontroller" is actually a microprocessor, as you noted.
Arduino is controlled through circuit designs and an uploaded program.
Raspberry Pi has a microprocessor that is more akin to a (limited) computer to program for control.

I need to get some updates on information from my brother that is an electrical engineer. Digital electronics interested me in college, but I have prioritized other interests since college and am not up-to-date on electronics.
This update will be needed if I go through with my plan to design and build my own reef lights. This intent has been reinforced with a recent purchase of some "cheaper" (still costly) Nicrew lights for my work desk tank that ended up being an expensive, dim blue spotlight... if my brother has the time, we can enjoy the project together and save me some money making a light to my PAR and time-cycle control specifications as well as the lights being DIY-repairable.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the correction, @crusso1993 .
You are correct. I used the wrong terms. What I meant by "microcontroller" is actually a microprocessor, as you noted.
Arduino is controlled through circuit designs and an uploaded program.
Raspberry Pi has a microprocessor that is more akin to a (limited) computer to program for control.

I need to get some updates on information from my brother that is an electrical engineer. Digital electronics interested me in college, but I have prioritized other interests since college and am not up-to-date on electronics.
This update will be needed if I go through with my plan to design and build my own reef lights. This intent has been reinforced with a recent purchase of some "cheaper" (still costly) Nicrew lights for my work desk tank that ended up being an expensive, dim blue spotlight... if my brother has the time, we can enjoy the project together and save me some money making a light to my PAR and time-cycle control specifications as well as the lights being DIY-repairable.
^^^^ this is very cool!

I do not know if you know it, or not, but there is already a controller for Nicrew Hyperreef lights that Tom Bishop developed. I know Tom too but not very well. Check out his thread below.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This sounds like English and I understand some of it...
BTW - I am not even sure how I found this thread but you're stuck with me... again!
Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

I guess that's the danger of posting on threads.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^ this is very cool!

I do not know if you know it, or not, but there is already a controller for Nicrew Hyperreef lights that Tom Bishop developed. I know Tom too but not very well. Check out his thread below.

Do you know what the exact purpose of the Nicrew controller is? Is it to control which LED's are on at a given schedule?
My issue with Nicrew is not that I cannot control the lights (on/off timer is enough for me) but rather that they are way too dim for my application. They claim to provide lighting with 18"X18" spread to 24" depth, but look like moonlight spotlights on my 40g-breeder tank.

The lights I plan to build are complete custom lights from scratch with built-in time and color-phase cycles to mimic daylight and sized accordingly to my custom tank setup needs.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you know what the exact purpose of the Nicrew controller is? Is it to control which LED's are on at a given schedule?
My issue with Nicrew is not that I cannot control the lights (on/off timer is enough for me) but rather that they are way too dim for my application. They claim to provide lighting with 18"X18" spread to 24" depth, but look like moonlight spotlights on my 40g-breeder tank.

The lights I plan to build are complete custom lights from scratch with built-in time and color-phase cycles to mimic daylight and sized accordingly to my custom tank setup needs.
I use a 50 watt on my 5 gallon planted freshwater. 100% blues, 50% whites.

It grew coral in this tank before I upgraded to the 125 but it sure looked dim.

IMG_20230221_122630871.jpg

I think the controller only works with some models of their lights. It's supposed to be a ramp timer.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 50 watt on my 5 gallon planted freshwater. 100% blues, 50% whites.

It grew coral in this tank before I upgraded to the 125 but it sure looked dim.

IMG_20230221_122630871.jpg

I think the controller only works with some models of their lights. It's supposed to be a ramp timer.
how are the plants doing with the lack of red and green? I never gave it a lot of thought when just in fw. Only looked for RGB lights under $100.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
how are the plants doing with the lack of red and green? I never gave it a lot of thought when just in fw. Only looked for RGB lights under $100.
The white on the Nicrew is actually white, red, and green. The hygro and Java have only been in the tank since last week and the others were just added this morning. We shall see...

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I cannot speak as to why Tom built the controller. Part of the reason I threw his link in the comment was in case you wanted to contact him.

At 50w, I’m not too surprised the light seems dim and I certainly wouldn’t trust it to grow much at 24” deep.

I really get into to all things electronics. Mind you, I’m no expert but just think it’s all very cool. If/when you start your lights please tag me or let me know via PM.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back