What's one more tank?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Water comes out. I'm not sure if it's really random, but I can direct the flow, which is nice. I'd have to wait for something else on it to see how random it is. I'll probably print a new one at a higher quality for the final one though.
You should be able to just put your hand in front of the nozzle and see if the flow is moving.

RFG nozzles are super finicky with flow rates. Too low or high and the flow stays in one stream.

I would love to have a 3d printer and time to learn it. I'd print so many things..

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to just put your hand in front of the nozzle and see if the flow is moving.

RFG nozzles are super finicky with flow rates. Too low or high and the flow stays in one stream.

I would love to have a 3d printer and time to learn it. I'd print so many things..
I should take the time to learn too. I'd screw up a lot less. My to print list is only growing.

When I refill the tank I'll see if it's truly random. The design says it should be good, between 60 and 100 gph. The pump says it does 90.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should take the time to learn too. I'd screw up a lot less. My to print list is only growing.

When I refill the tank I'll see if it's truly random. The design says it should be good, between 60 and 100 gph. The pump says it does 90.
Looks like you're learning homie. Even failures, are a win. That's awesome that it is scaled down to work. I've never seen one that works in that low of flow.

As a woodworker, a cnc machine would be more useful to me. 3d printing would just be the icing.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you're learning homie. Even failures, are a win. That's awesome that it is scaled down to work. I've never seen one that works in that low of flow.

As a woodworker, a cnc machine would be more useful to me. 3d printing would just be the icing.
I lied. I was using this from vivid as the standard.
I would have just bought that one, but they never got back to my email about how I would attach it to my tank. So I was using their metrics in scaling this:

If I have made something similar to vivids, I am on the low end of flow needs. At least I will have directional control though.

@Projects with Sam has printed a cnc machine. So there's your 2fer. I want a cnc but really don't have the room for it.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas people! have fun for me today, I'll be at work.
Merry Christmas Santa GIF by Holly Logan

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should probably get back to this one... seeing as I have a desk to put it on and the big tank is done outside routine maintenance.

also, can I use salinity and temp data for this tank on the Hanna giveaway? salinity is 0 and temp is 68, or whatever my house is at. taken by common sense.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I recommend hygrophila pink lady. I've never had success, but next fw setup I'll try again.
I was thinking a bed of Glosso or Microswords, maybe Christmas or Java Moss on the smaller rock, Val in the back corner behind the rock, and Hygro or Anubias in the other corner. Shallow enough tank I may do a water lily in the front center.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this additional build thread... got any updates?
There is a certain particular charm to pico tanks, in my opinion!
welcome!
current status is sitting on a shelf with all the parts. Now that I know a little more about CAD I may redraw and print the stand. trying to decide if I want to learn raspberry pie to automate the lights and pump. That sounds like a lot of work though. Next tank project will either be finish this one or revamp the 75g FW.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking a bed of Glosso or Microswords, maybe Christmas or Java Moss on the smaller rock, Val in the back corner behind the rock, and Hygro or Anubias in the other corner. Shallow enough tank I may do a water lily in the front center.
Val won't get too big?

edit mine sits right around 7' long.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Val won't get too big?

edit mine sits right around 7' long.
Tank is 8" square by 11" tall I believe. If it gets too big, I'll trim it. Thinking Red Cherries and Endlers which like lots of hiding especially at the surface so val grows up and fills in at the surface some.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome!
current status is sitting on a shelf with all the parts. Now that I know a little more about CAD I may redraw and print the stand. trying to decide if I want to learn raspberry pie to automate the lights and pump. That sounds like a lot of work though. Next tank project will either be finish this one or revamp the 75g FW.
Definitely worth it to learn raspberry pie! I have not worked with that yet, but I worked with a relative, Arduino. I have plans to make my own lights for my main tank, especially color-effect lights for the back of the tank to simulate morning/noon/evening/moonlight as desired. Raspberry pie will likely be my go-to controller after discussions with my brother than is an electrical engineer.

Since I am a design engineer, I'm very familiar with CAD, primarily SolidWorks. Almost all my plans start in CAD, sometimes to the point of complete fabrication drawings, bills-of-materials, and lists for cutting material and planning stock material needed.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 8" square by 11" tall I believe. If it gets too big, I'll trim it. Thinking Red Cherries and Endlers which like lots of hiding especially at the surface so val grows up and fills in at the surface some.
I didn't know it could be trimmed. all I've heard is that trimming kills it. cannot confirm though. I have some living and dying in the 75. no idea if breaking the leaves ends it.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back