What's one more tank?

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 50 watt on my 5 gallon planted freshwater. 100% blues, 50% whites.

It grew coral in this tank before I upgraded to the 125 but it sure looked dim.

IMG_20230221_122630871.jpg

I think the controller only works with some models of their lights. It's supposed to be a ramp timer.
I assumed the program was just a ramp timer from what I read on the thread.
Your tank here is a 5g, correct?

My lights are 30W, which is obviously under-powered for my 40g. (X2 for 60W total)
I made the mistake of trusting the marketing information of 18"X18" expected light spread (below maximum claimed 20"X20") and 24" depth. The lights work, just are very dim.

I cannot speak as to why Tom built the controller. Part of the reason I threw his link in the comment was in case you wanted to contact him.

At 50w, I’m not too surprised the light seems dim and I certainly wouldn’t trust it to grow much at 24” deep.

I really get into to all things electronics. Mind you, I’m no expert but just think it’s all very cool. If/when you start your lights please tag me or let me know via PM.
My Nicrew lights are 30W each (x2), but I'll be saving them for smaller tanks now.

Input on light design will be welcome! Discussion will be open on my build thread when I start down that path. I can also let you know through starting a PM thread.

im lost
I think either could work for you, but Arduino seems to be the better option for beginners. Just pick one or the other (or whichever is available) and research how to accomplish your task on the one you choose.
The difference for beginners seems to be that Arduino is more about simple programming and using circuit design for part of the controls while Raspberry Pi involves more programming as a microprocessor that may save some circuit work with the internal controls.

Also, I assume this was posted at 4:04? ;) (3:04pm CST in central IL)

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think either could work for you, but Arduino seems to be the better option for beginners. Just pick one or the other (or whichever is available) and research how to accomplish your task on the one you choose.
The difference for beginners seems to be that Arduino is more about simple programming and using circuit design for part of the controls while Raspberry Pi involves more programming as a microprocessor that may save some circuit work with the internal controls.
That was kinda the conclusion I got too. Do I want to learn C or C++ and circuit design (arguably not too hard for the latter) for this tank? or do I just do the latter? Or do I email the father-in-law for his help? Or do I plug it into a Christmas tree timer and forget the whole thing?
Also, I assume this was posted at 4:04? ;) (3:04pm CST in central IL)
yep. I have a soft goal to text "not found" at 4:04 every day. today it happened here.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some thinking after logging off Tuesday and here is what I decided:
1) the automation will likely happen, but not in version one, for a couple of reasons: I don't have the time now to learn coding, and you likely don't want to wait that long for the build. Then again I started tis build in August and we are yet not wet.
2) for version one I will get the pump running and the light on a Christmas tree timer. I will also contact tampa bay saltwater for the stocking. I have been talking with them about cleaners for the big reef, and I have nearly come to a reasonable box. I'll have them add 1/2 pound or so of sand and 1# of rock and maybe some cool critter for it.

In other news, the father-in-law can code (according to the wife) so it's a matter of asking him to write it for me.

My tank tinkering will be between the FW that has been running without a filter for at least a week and this build. shooting to be running (I'll put myself on the clock and say) March 10th.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some thinking after logging off Tuesday and here is what I decided:
1) the automation will likely happen, but not in version one, for a couple of reasons: I don't have the time now to learn coding, and you likely don't want to wait that long for the build. Then again I started tis build in August and we are yet not wet.
2) for version one I will get the pump running and the light on a Christmas tree timer. I will also contact tampa bay saltwater for the stocking. I have been talking with them about cleaners for the big reef, and I have nearly come to a reasonable box. I'll have them add 1/2 pound or so of sand and 1# of rock and maybe some cool critter for it.

In other news, the father-in-law can code (according to the wife) so it's a matter of asking him to write it for me.

My tank tinkering will be between the FW that has been running without a filter for at least a week and this build. shooting to be running (I'll put myself on the clock and say) March 10th.
By Christmas tree timer, I am presuming you are referring to a mechanical timer. Is this correct? If so, have you given thought to a smart power strip?

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By Christmas tree timer, I am presuming you are referring to a mechanical timer. Is this correct? If so, have you given thought to a smart power strip?
yes, mechanical timer. I have one free right now so I don't have to buy anything for it. If I want to move the surge protector with the timer I was using to run co2 on the freshwater, I can, but don't think I need to.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I may get some for the big tank, for bubble scrubbing, for feeding, water changes, and photographing.
I think they make one of those towers too! And, each plug is controllable individually on most of them so you can have it always on or timed.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's alive! proof will come later.

and we have confirmed that the rando flow generator does in fact generate flow randomly.

Now the to dos are:
1) solder the power to the pump
2) put sand in
3) scape
4) stock

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 79 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back