What's one more tank?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost two years ago I got a half-gallon cube tank from petcosmart and it has kicked around my apartment and my house. first it sat in the sum holding and raising well Java moss and yellow neocaradina shrimp. Then it became a dirted and planted tank for red neos, Monte Carlo and a smaller crypt. that tank hung out for some time tucked back in the corner wasting space. well, last weekend, seeing that it was devoid of shrimp, and mostly dead, I dumped it all in the compost, cleaned it out and am now set to build an all-in-one rock flower nem and sexy shrimp tank.

That brings us to today: tank is clean with clean aragonite. I have some rock rubble, maybe a pound chilling in my 40, and a pump on the way. (pictures forthcoming)

The tank itself is a 5" cube with small feet. I have cut some baffles for the filter box out of corrugated plastic board. I will likely hot glue them in place so I can adjust in the future. I will be less concerned about sealing all the holes as that will help the filter section to not run dry. Weirs will be cut when the pump comes and I know the waterline I want.

The filter compartment will have a small pump and poly floss (pillow stuffing) for mechanical filtration. I will likely mount the intake low even in a level of corrugated pvc board. An appropriate image for the final design may be an under-gravel filter style.

The light came with the kit; it grew plants, so it should be enough for anything I would put in the tank.

I haven't solved the heater issue. My thought is to keep it a work where my office is always balmy. I also would have more opportunities to look at it then.

Stocking, as stated above will be one or two rock flower nems and any number of sexy shrimp. there will probably be a snail in there for algae control. I may be wooed by another creature that would replace or add to the list. There may be a gorgonian in there at some point.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump came. It was a good day to get packages yesterday! I got my SBB corals box: 14 corals for my 40b. and an amazon box with not one but two presents. 6 jars of hatch green chilis (last time I ordered them one jar came, but three were in the picture on amazon), and the pump.

The pump itself does not have a plug, but that shouldn't stand in my way, just gotta do some wiring. I may see if I can link it to the light, before the power switch though because one plug is easier than two. If there isn't enough power through the inverter, as both the light and pump are DC power, then I will use an old phone charger for the source. Next post should be a photo dump. If I get around to taking them...

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures:
IMG_20220821_143006824_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220821_143003442.jpg
IMG_20220821_143015561.jpg

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized the pump I got is the high temp, not the submersible. At least the Amazon description says not to submerge the hight temp pump. Guess I'll either buy the right one or find a way to hide it outside the tank. On that note, I can now have more room inside the tank of the pump isn't there.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think just a small surface skimmer would work, your stocking options don't produce that much waste.
But will be very unstable environment giving this size ?
The pump was primarily for flow, skimming would happen by virtue of the filter section. I'd definitely look at a surface skimmer of it fit the size constraints. Anything you can recommend?
Problem s I haven't solved are guaranteeing stability and feeding. A thought I had was keep a 20 or 30ml syringe handy and daily or almost daily pull the full volume of the syringe out and refill it with water pulled from a bbs culture. Or if it's at work on my desk a jar of fresh sea water.

There's also macro algae I can add too.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for flow maybe a normal air pump/ stone just to create bubbles/ agitate surface to create flow? About £10?
Its so small lol :)
I don't think it would sustain life for long, even evaporation would require a top up every 2 days. I don't think it would work... Maybe copepods lol :)

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for flow maybe a normal air pump/ stone just to create bubbles/ agitate surface to create flow? About £10?
Its so small lol :)
I don't think it would sustain life for long, even evaporation would require a top up every 2 days. I don't think it would work... Maybe copepods lol :)
Air stone would work. And that keeps the pump elsewhere.

I'm not too concerned with evaporation as it will be conspicuously placed next to a computer or another obvious location. It will get seeded long before livestock goes in so if my best intentions don't pan out nothing takes a hit, but my wallet.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) then next step would be regular water changes to control algae, I guess a tooth brush and a big turkey baster would be a 25% water change, you can get graded mesh to filter by hand to remove larger particles of algae after a scrub

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) then next step would be regular water changes to control algae, I guess a tooth brush and a big turkey baster would be a 25% water change, you can get graded mesh to filter by hand to remove larger particles of algae after a scrub
Yep, find a small glass scraper on a stick cuz my hand would definitely make a mess. I might get a snail too, for tidying up. Probably too small of a tank for a tang.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon, man, I tell ya. As it turns out, the pump I got is the high temp, not the submersible version. I navigated away after selecting the submersible and it defaulted me to the high temp. Now the temp I have should not be submersed but will work with salt water. So, my options are finding a way to house it outside the tank, not too interested in this because if my tinkering fails, I am draining my tank very quickly. Talk to the seller and see what I can do. This is probably the path I will take.

I also need to sort through the sand I have for the stuff going into this tank, and what will go back into the 15 gallon it came from.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back