OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have everything set for this build except one thing: the return nozzle. My issue is that as far as I know, no one makes a return that would fit on the 3/8 tubing I have. I could print one, but I am not good enough to draw it, or even resize it. I did recently discover the "advanced settings" on the slicer, so there may be a solution there. I will keep hunting. IF anyone has knowhow feel free to let me know.

In other tank news, the 40 and 15 are becoming a 120 when I get it plumbed and the rock cured. so there's that. Increasing water volume and decreasing the number of tanks in my house (currently 10 wet) feels nice.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have everything set for this build except one thing: the return nozzle. My issue is that as far as I know, no one makes a return that would fit on the 3/8 tubing I have. I could print one, but I am not good enough to draw it, or even resize it. I did recently discover the "advanced settings" on the slicer, so there may be a solution there. I will keep hunting. IF anyone has knowhow feel free to let me know.

In other tank news, the 40 and 15 are becoming a 120 when I get it plumbed and the rock cured. so there's that. Increasing water volume and decreasing the number of tanks in my house (currently 10 wet) feels nice.
I believe VCA (Vivid Creative Aquatics) might make a return vfg for 3/8.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard back from vivid yet about the size of the connector. I can probably make an adapter if needed, so I will likely get off my lazy behind and buy the nozzle. Or I will get off the same lazy behind and get a new slicer and resize the nozzles I found on thingiverse, just doing the whole thing myself and saving $20+ shipping.

I may also swap out the corrugated board with a printed overflow, because why not?

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard back from vivid yet about the size of the connector. I can probably make an adapter if needed, so I will likely get off my lazy behind and buy the nozzle. Or I will get off the same lazy behind and get a new slicer and resize the nozzles I found on thingiverse, just doing the whole thing myself and saving $20+ shipping.

I may also swap out the corrugated board with a printed overflow, because why not?
Print everything.

Actually I just found schematics for a printed protein skimmer on printables yesterday.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Print everything.

Actually I just found schematics for a printed protein skimmer on printables yesterday.
The problem with print everything is I then have to learn to draw. an overflow shouldn't be hard though.

A protein skimmer would be a cool print. I am not good enough yet though,

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also wondering if I want to add a potentiometer (to adjust the flow) to the pump now or later. The plan was later, but nothing is soldered yet, this is a great opportunity.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Print everything.

Agreed, print everything!

Printed protein skimmers are on my list for research and development.
I have some prototypes modeled and hope to start testing when I get my 3D printer delivered in January (hopefully anyway, but Prusa is known for extended delays with new printer models, especially due to continued supply chain issues...).

I've got an extensive backlog of parts to print for many different projects.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Printed overflow is what I am waiting for my brother to complete since I don't have my printer yet! I've been waiting on an upgrade for my work desk tank from a 30B to a 40B with overflow and 30g Tall sump, but I've had delays with my brother getting the overflow parts printed. For some reason, he considers other things more important priorities, such as getting married, buying a house, starting a new position at his job, etc.
...hopefully over the holidays, I can get the parts finished.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I need to break my wife down and buy the Ender. Then I can teach my daughter TinkerCAD and the other one you and @Projects with Sam use so she can design my stuff for me for projects and get school credit! Two birds, no stone?

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Printed overflow is what I am waiting for my brother to complete since I don't have my printer yet! I've been waiting on an upgrade for my work desk tank from a 30B to a 40B with overflow and 30g Tall sump, but I've had delays with my brother getting the overflow parts printed. For some reason, he considers other things more important priorities, such as getting married, buying a house, starting a new position at his job, etc.
...hopefully over the holidays, I can get the parts finished.
I'm not sure a 30b would fit on my desk. At least not with any left-over work space.
I had a similar schedule to your brother a few years ago: closed on the house oct. 6, sat for board cert. interview the tenth, married on the 17th, and moved before the honeymoon. I would not recommend it.
It really is rude of your brother to prioritize his wants over your needs.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to break my wife down and buy the Ender. Then I can teach my daughter TinkerCAD and the other one you and @Projects with Sam use so she can design my stuff for me for projects and get school credit! Two birds, no stone?
Fusion 360? I couldn't find the free for hobbyists' version, so I got the free for students' version. I found so many things I didn't know I needed that I now own. Like a pocket hole jig and dowel center finder. I am printing rock stands so I don't have to worry about my scape when I set up the 120. There are also roses on thingiverse that you could print her to smooth things over.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently "not allowed" near the printer because hubs is printing something for me. No idea what.... But he said it was going to be like 3 days of printing to get all the components.

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it's a skimmer?
No idea but he got some pretty cool filament and I think it's for whatever it is. Looks copper from one angle and like a gunmetal/silver from the other.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back