What's something that grew out of control in your reef tank?

Have you ever lost control of a coral or pest in your tank?

• YES (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 205 58.7%
  • No I'm Proactive

Votes: 51 14.6%
  • No I'm Lucky

Votes: 81 23.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 12 3.4%

• Total voters

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the bristle worms for me

I’m thinking of buying an arrow crab, the worms getting too big

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP!! Its not pealing up off of the rocks like it should, chiseling it off isn't an option, the rock is completely covered. Looks cool but, no room for other corals:(

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms, definitely mushrooms.

ACtC-3exHNiIfiJs7YZsxbowyRDxjmN1UD1NCVLXSroP2oDBk0fR2IyTyqXoIfi6j0Xr4O-rBEIhz7sXTj4LyyA9QeWWXDEZQX76-e4jO2eeqot4-4G2ukuKgZU7fk7VYXXJIXuc9brsYZ6HOwil2Huo22VQ=w1700-h956-no

Once you get to the point where additions are 'expected' to thrive, then selection and discretion becomes much more important!

Dennis

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found Rainbows anemonies to be a plague. I have seen local fish stores ask 100 to 250 for them.

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one side!!! Out of control but better then algae...

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RBTA. In previous tanks I could pull small pieces of coral and sell the splits. In my current setup it’s 3 big rocks glued together, so no taking anything out, and once that foot is settled deep in the rock, I’ve tried every trick in the book to get them out and usually end up with a mangled nem. So I learned to be a murderer.
star wars smile GIF by Hyper RPG

Richard Severns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was creeping gorgonian, yes it grew slowly but it got into every crack there was, finally had to remove a large portion of rock and start new

Panama Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an odd one but - Coraline is out of control. I like to keep my back panel clean and it grows at such a fast rate I’m always scrapping it off. Also in the corners it can be a pain to get out. So many want it to grow and I just want it to go away lol.
Ill take some lol I wonder if your scraping is what is "seeding" your tank with more c.a.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At different times in my reefing career:
1. Vermatid
2. aiptasia
3. mushrooms
4. green star polyps
5. hydnophora
6. pocillopora
7. bubble tip anemones
8. dinos

Panama Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had / have an issue with Texas Trash zoas. When I set up my first tank I bought a bunch of used liverock with these guys all over em. I didn't know any better and thought they were pretty... I wish I knew then what I know now. Not only did I take on every single issue that the previous owner had in their d.t. but these zoas took over like nobodies business. I have tried every way of killing these guys... removing rock / frag rack and even hitting the frag rack with bleach and let it dry out and it still had living tissue. I wound up throwing away every bit of rock that had even a single polyp. Aiptasia X nor F killed them... Then... yesterday as I am taking a gander around my tank and found 2 polyps growing towards the back of my tank. Needless to say Im not happy. Back to the board... This rock is set in place... Im convinced these guys are invincible....

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sort of algae no clue what kind it is was told to try Vibrant so I ordered and dosed tank for first time two days ago. After reading up/watching a BRSTV vid. on Vibrant looks like it take 7,8,9 weeks for it to work. Ughhh.

Rocketfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had aptaisia and GHA. But the Bristleworms were the worst for me. I finally made a trap that worked and pulled out a large number in one night. I made a few and sold them to others and they also had great success with the trap. This is a pic from a friends tank that caught more than 20 the first night!

Attachments

• 809ca3a8fd80ccef9d98009b9a67a6e5.0.jpg
    809ca3a8fd80ccef9d98009b9a67a6e5.0.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 206

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a pulsing xenia forest key word "had". Yep bad bottle of hanna alk. checker reagent had me thinking alk was low when it was 15.2 dkh. Yeah not cool. I lost about $600-$700 worth of corals and in quick time. The xenia was doing awesome growing great then in over course of a week or two time or it all just melted away. Lost all my hammers and frogspawn too. Yeah I'm learning the hard way in this hobby lately.

SilverFoxFace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Hollywood Stunner Chalice that I had to trim back constantly, BTAs that split all the time and become superglued to the rockscape, Zoas that grow exponentially and of course GHA, which is annoying AF.

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe people consider RBTA and Montis as out of control. I can see Mushrooms, GSP, Xenias and Clovers. Been reefing since 1999, so I know better to stay away from those. Kenya trees and colts are easy to control, just trim them.

In my tank, its the little A. Starfishes that are out of control. I keep sucking them out during every water change, they keep multiplying.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 150 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back