What's something that grew out of control in your reef tank?

Have you ever lost control of a coral or pest in your tank?

• YES (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 205 58.7%
  • No I'm Proactive

Votes: 51 14.6%
  • No I'm Lucky

Votes: 81 23.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 12 3.4%

• Total voters

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were two things that got me pretty good. First was GHA. I went on deployment and when I got back the tank was full of it, took me months to get rid of most of it. There are still patches here and there, but are easily pulled out. The second and what seems like worse to me is Pocillopora. I got what I and the store was a green birds nest. WE WERE WRONG!!!! The stuff is everywhere and I am working to get rid of it. However, it seems that it may be easier to cycle some new rock and just save the corals I do want. This stuff is a nightmare.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oniomania (compulsive shopping, or what's more commonly referred to as shopping addiction)

Fragstock-WI.jpg

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bubble tip kenya tree, birdnest and bubble tip anemones. Now, got rid of kenya tree, have the BTA under check (thanks aptaisia-x, and wont let grow birdnest bigger than a baseball (had an issue where every small broken part would grow a colony, hiding light for other corals, invading them and consuming a lot of nutrients) oh yeah, and I was forgetting green hairy mushroom. sold about 50 for 20$ 2 weeks ago. it was covering almost all my sand)

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya trees are taking over most areas of the tank. I need to start thinning them out by fragging some to give away and just pitching the rest. And I have a monti cap that I love but is also going to need to be fragged and soon.

I am lucky that I haven't any pests really. I have them but none of them are out of control.

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I had a turf algae take hold and overwhelm my first tank I threw in the towel on that tank when after beginning to make progress on it I got slammed with dinos.

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently fighting the Dino Fight in my brand new (less than 2 months up and running) 90g. I'm having a tough time just not ripping it all apart and bleaching it to start with fresh bacteria and dead rock. Coraline is starting to spread too, which is super pretty but overall a little frumpy with the tank.

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I answered No, I'm lucky.

I had a green paly eradicating all other zoas and invading many areas they weren't supposed to... until 1 of my 3 filefish tried them and the other 2 followed him.

I have a huge area at the back filled with BTA's and every week I would have at least 2 or 3 moving to places they shouldn't. Recently I realised that I haven't found a single one out of their island in a very long time.

Once again, the 3 filefish are keeping them in check. They rip their tentacles and if an anemone is isolated, it becomes an easy target. The anemones have been able to sustain their damage in the colony because it's distributed.

Screenshot_20210514-231927_YouTube.jpg
Love my filefish! Eliminated aptasia and clove polyps so far. My wife stated she saw it going to town on green sinularia, but this softy seems like it’s going to be fine with occasional nibbles!

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones. Mine split, and split and split until It got out of control. At one point I had over a dozen. Had to spend hours getting them out and selling them. Down to one big one, and two small ones now.

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is pretty new so nothing is really out of control lol. I made the huge mistake of putting zoas on my main rocks when I was new. Gonna have to contain em w acro or scrape them off

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an odd one but - Coraline is out of control. I like to keep my back panel clean and it grows at such a fast rate I’m always scrapping it off. Also in the corners it can be a pain to get out. So many want it to grow and I just want it to go away lol.
That’s the best way to get it to spread and grow. Place it freely in the water column, and it will spread everywhere. Get a Tuxedo or a Short Spine Urchin and they will clean it off the glass. Personally I prefer it growing on the back glass.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA! Just about got it under control now. As soon as it's gone I can start adding corals and thanks to this thread... I now know which softies to avoid or isolate to keep them under control. :)

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encrusting ________________ . Montipora, pavona, you name it. If its an encrusting SPS , ill never do it again! Mystic Sunset and Mind Trick is nice til its over a foot around

thepotoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe people consider out of control xenia, kenya tree and BTAs a bad thing. Any of that stuff is worth a fortune at your LFS, make a deal with them for cash instead of credit.

I have a rock covered in GSP and another one in xenia that I chisel a few chunks off from every few months. These guys don't spread around the tank, so they don't get loose.

I tear kenya tree frags out by the roots, dry them on a towel and super glue them to frag plugs.

Having corals that go wild like that is like having a goose that lays golden eggs, why would you drown it with kalk paste??

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe people consider out of control xenia, kenya tree and BTAs a bad thing. Any of that stuff is worth a fortune at your LFS, make a deal with them for cash instead of credit.

I have a rock covered in GSP and another one in xenia that I chisel a few chunks off from every few months. These guys don't spread around the tank, so they don't get loose.

I tear kenya tree frags out by the roots, dry them on a towel and super glue them to frag plugs.

Having corals that go wild like that is like having a goose that lays golden eggs, why would you drown it with kalk paste??
I wish I could easily trade mine in at the LFS. My LFS will only take corals he doesn’t already have. Unfortunately, I don’t have anything he doesn’t.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 57 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back