Whats the best gyre wave pump?

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed there are a few different brands of gyre pumps, the saltwater guy at LFS said he prefers red sea over Maxspect. I'm just looking for others' opinions, thanks!

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed there are a few different brands of gyre pumps, the saltwater guy at LFS said he prefers red sea over Maxspect. I'm just looking for others' opinions, thanks!
I Have the maxspect 350's .. the longer this post is up the longer you'll see there is a love hate relationship. One of the best water patterns ever. One of the biggest pains in the back side to keep clean and keep running optimal.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, they are all too fussy about being cleaned and their motors don't have enough torque. Stick to wavemakers unless you have a huge tank.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be 3 choices: Jebao, Red Sea and the Maxspect/IceCap/AI (they seem to be identical).

I've had the Maxspect Jump 2K and the xf330. I like that they give water movement throughout the tank, bit they do seem to lower performance over time untill you clean them again.

If doing it all over I'd probably go with a pair of Jebaos. I'm not sure the premium comes with much extra.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back