What's the best piece of equipment you have purchased for your reef?

The BEST equipment you have bought for your reef came from this category?

• Filtration

Votes: 71 14.3%
  • Testing

Votes: 50 10.0%
  • Lighting

Votes: 162 32.5%
  • Controlling

Votes: 117 23.5%
  • Water Treatment

Votes: 21 4.2%
  • Pumps

Votes: 48 9.6%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 29 5.8%

• Total voters

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. It’s a prefilter for an ro/di booster pump that I use to stabilize my calcium reactor effluent drip. I modified it to accept a generic nylon automotive fuel filter screen. My effluent drip rate has been at exactly 1 per second for over two weeks now.

06F3CC6B-753E-4D92-9343-35652B7D4A81.jpeg
This is my backup just in case image.jpg
This is awesome. Can you explain more or link me to a thread where you show how this is hooked up? Thanks for sharing

Backtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Versa pumps for continuous a water change. Installed 5-6 months ago and haven’t touched a bucket since. Bare bottom gets a quick siphon into a filter sock every now and then and that’s it.

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was the Apex+Trident+DoS combo. I ran my tank for a year before I got it, and I'm so much happier with how stable my tank is, how much less time regularly spent testing, and how much more confidence I have that I could walk away from my tank for two weeks and everything would be fine.

They're not perfect and I definitely had a little learning curve getting it set up correctly, but I'm glad I did.

cshplumber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving my Clarisea SK-5000 roller filter. I do love my Kessil A360NE's and I'm sure my Apex can & will be more of a benefit once I get past the setup/learning stage but so far the Clarisea has been a "set it & forget it" kind of item.

Reeferstin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ai hydras red sea skimmer eshops rs 100 sump bigger return pump aquasmart safe level skimmer shutoff has been awesome nothing to worry about over flowing coming from a walmart sump with the built in skimmer that would over flow everytime i would feed fish or add any chemicals

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing that came to mind was my ReefBreeders LED light, I guess because it's my most expensive piece of equipment (cost more than the tank setup). I had to think about what my "best" piece of equipment is, though. I agree with others on the ATO, especially after spending my first 5 years of reefing manually topping off...I can't believe I did that for 5 years! When I upgraded to my 90, I may have lasted a week doing manual topoff before I ordered the Tunze ATO and also ordered an acrylic reservoir to sit beside the tank. I can go about 10 days or so without filling up the reservoir now, which suits me just fine! ;Joyful

reservoir.jpg
Hi from Nashville! Where did you get the reservoir? It's nice looking. And so happy to hear everyone mentioning Tunze ATO's. I just bought a 3155 and haven't got it running yet.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank with the 2400gph i have the seltz d 1000 gph on a 90 gallon system and was thinking i need a 1600 for more flow
my tank is 75 sump 25 gal in a 55 tank. i am lifting 9 feet from the basement using 11/4" return line. i am using the 2nd setting for return. setting 4 is as high as i can go without blowing my sand around so i have plenty of room for aging.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank with the 2400gph i have the seltz d 1000 gph on a 90 gallon system and was thinking i need a 1600 for more flow
a friend showed me that the return doesn't need to provide the majority of in tank flow that that can come from wave makers. i am thinking of rebalancing my drain to allow more flow through the 'fuge to allow more chaeto growth.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back