What's the best way to get rid of turf algae?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely not bryopsis or gha. It's turf for sure. Easy enough to pull off, but figured something would probably be happy to eat it. I'm a little worried about hermits because I've got some tiny fish in there (barnacle blennies and eviota gobies).
My hermit crabs have not touched mine so I would say no.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose hydrogen peroxide twice a day. I used fluconazole to get rid of my bryopsis and GHA outbreak, Fluconazole definitely did the trick in a week. Its good stuff and I didnt lose a single piece of livestock, coral included and I did a 1.5x dose. But what did happen is now I have dinos. I caught it early so im not in full dino outbreak, but if you decide to use Flux, keep those nitrates high is my best advice.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual, I have either long green hair algae or turf that cuc don’t seem to tackle. I added a pincushion and a emerald crab and don’t appear to be going after it. There are no ferns so I don’t think it’s briopsis. I started manually pulling it since I think it’s too long for cuc to tackle, hope it works.
4949F4AA-F6B1-4709-9F3A-245CEC7FD197.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that pulling most of it off manually and then letting the cuc get the rest is the best remedy. As others have suggested, H2O2 is also helpful in more severe outbreaks.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 55 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.3%
Back