Whats the catch - Prostar Rimless 150 Gallon?

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to buy a new rimless tank, stand combo. I have been looking at Red Sea, SCA, Waterbox, GlassCages.com and I just came across the Prostar Rimless 150 Gallon and the price per feature delivered is almost $1000 cheaper than the closest competition. They look great for the $$. Does anyone have any thoughts or experince with these tanks? I want to get one but want to hear other people's experience please?

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pla
I am looking to buy a new rimless tank, stand combo. I have been looking at Red Sea, SCA, Waterbox, GlassCages.com and I just came across the Prostar Rimless 150 Gallon and the price per feature delivered is almost $1000 cheap than the closest competition. They look great for the $$. Does anyone habe any thoughts or experince with these tanks? I want to get one but want to hear other people's experience please?
Planet Aquariums- Drill your tank and build your stand. :)

Many of us here can guide you.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me temp you on price. How much is the other one?
AE22EA22-E9DD-48B1-A51C-9FBB5729A54F.jpeg

Two Tides Aquarium Supply

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took the leap and ordered a white version last week from Tyler at https://twotidesaquariumsupply.com

I heard comparable to red sea quality. Im all in and will keep you posted. Tyler at two tides has been great.

ZAG

Hey @Zagreus, it’s Tyler with Two Tides. Thanks for the shoutout man we appreciate it. It’s been a lot of fun building out your system and figuring out how we can improve it. Glad we are finding some ways to make that Clarisea filter roller slot into the sump well.

Wanted to answer a few questions in this thread while I’m here to try and help some people out.

@Reefahholic - As for the tanks themselves, I personally know that they all come straight from Pro Clear when we send one to a client. The less stops that glass boxes have to make and get unloaded / reloaded again, the safer everything is. I’ve attached a few good build threads below from a few guys that have them on R2R and show both how the tanks come, and how their build has evolved over time as well as their thoughts on the build quality.

@A sea K - For the price difference between the peninsulas and standard overflows, simple answer there. We simply make and stock less of the peninsulas. Fact is that most people still prefer to place a tank up against a wall longways, and even though peninsulas are getting increasingly popular, it’s still the fact of the matter. Can’t speak for all retailers, but for us we probably see 3-5x more standard overflows. Only other difference between the standard and peninsula is a slightly different plumbing and sump configuration. All the same sump compartments and sizing though. We have diagrams for the plumbing both on R2R and our website.

Hope this helps clears up a few things. Below are a few other build threads of the ProStars. Can also post any other questions here, we visit R2R every now and then to see what’s goin on. Just tag us.

To Your Success,
- Tyler Moon

Two Tides Aquarium Supply

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few other build thread of the ProStars for reference.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/prostar-rimless-230-v2-build.774569/
Began a few days ago from a past client of ours

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pro-star-rimless-200.766144/#post-8079489
Began in mid October

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pro-clear-prostar-220-build-a-first-on-r2r-i-think.665192/
Definitely the most detailed ProStar build thread on R2R, started this time last year. This thread is also showcasing the V1 of the ProStar, which has since been updated to the V2 with some improvements to the plumbing, overflow section, and stand construction.

Hope this helps in further research. Cheers

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back