What's the cure for cyano bacteria?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
40,647
Reaction score
67,846
Location
Fontana, California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you guys beat cyano? What's the solution you use?
 
Technically the cure is ChemiClean, but that has its own issues. It's good for wide-scale cyano outbreaks, but using it tends to liberate enough nutrients that it tends to fuel a GHA outbreak as a rebound.

The better cure is just good husbandry, proper flow and tank maturity. Earlier this year, my IM20 tank was completely covered in cyano, aiptasia and bubble algae. When I decided to revitalize my bigger tank, I committed to doing the same to the IM20. I started doing a weekly 20% water change, and I finally dialed in the proper flow for the Nero 3 on the tank. Within about 2 months, without doing anything specifically for the cyano, it was completely gone.

And just in general, that's seemed to be the "magic bullet" for cyano: Regular water changes and good flow.

I'm 100% certain that you can also eliminate cyano without water changes (I've seen the tanks), but for me it's only when I stay on top of my water changes that I can keep cyano away.
 
jenn-jenn-robbins.gif


I ended up here with chemiclean for cyano and flux for GHA
giphy-downsized-medium.gif
 
Last edited:
Increase flow, address N/P imbalances. If you use Chemiclean make sure to run an extra O2 source. If pH is chronically low consider an intervention to address and raise the value such as using lime water, aka kalk.
 
Increase flow, skim heavy, change carbon more often. Reduce organic carbon dosing and amino acids. Dose coral snow.

If the above fails: Chemi Clean. I used chemi clean with no issues to anything, and I haven’t had Cyano since.
 
I "control" cyano by dosing a DIY version of Coral snow (calcium carbonate) twice a month....right after a water change (and when lights are out). Not going to say it cures cyano, but for me it greatly reduces that red mat on the sand.
 
Live rock seed + Phytoplankton = diversity + microbes food = single cell zooplankton = no Cyanobacteria.

It’s fairly rare to see a healthy system that is fed phytoplankton to have Cyanobacteria.
 
Diversity - plenty of rock for Bacteria and Stability.

Good Flow and mainenance helps also!
I also dose Phyto regularly, but not daily, will do a big dose every couple of weeks.
 
How do you guys beat cyano? What's the solution you use?
first step to cure is finding the cause. Cyano typically appears when phosphate, nitrate and other organic compound levels are too high where there are areas with little flow, detritus builds up and becomes a base for cyano. Water changes are important unlike what the perception of not doing one which reduces the organic content that feeds cyano.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with air bubbles which form from the reaction chamber allow dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to the collection cup, where it settles as skim-mate. When a protein skimmer is ineffective or absent or cant keep up with the tank, the air bubbles created might be insufficient and can trigger this outbreak .
- Using Aminos can actually feed cyano.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your tank with nutrients is often causes cyano
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured will be a breeding ground for this red slime .
- If you don’t change your water regularly, you’ll soon have this red substance as regular water changes dissolve nutrients which support cyano
- Using water high in nitrates or phosphates are a base for cyano. . . . . Tap water is an example of po4 and no3 introduction.
- Inadequate water flow is often a chief cause of cyano as slow moving water combined with excessive dissolved nutrients creates red slime algae

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.
 
Chemiclean did it for me. Not a single problem after. No side effects. Nothing. Just no cyano. It was in my sps tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new