What's the deal with IceCap?

Ruckus16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently stumbled upon IceCap products. I guess they are made by Coralvue. I'm tempted to try their ATO that just came out. Anyone have experience with the brand?

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running an IceCap sump under my 40 breeder. Quality is decent, price was decent as well. I don't have any experience beyond their acrylic components.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just bought a XF230 with new controller.... notice that these are about half the price and seem like they are the same, especially since from CoralVue???

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just bought a XF230 with new controller.... notice that these are about half the price and seem like they are the same, especially since from CoralVue???
You and I both. I scored a XF250 / with the controller and an additional pump. With the IceCaps I could have scored two for the price of one ;(

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding they look exactly alike but are not. Flowrates are significantly different and you can't use the newer controller with them or put 2 units on the same controller.
Not putting two units on the same controller sucks - unless you can hook them up to a controller. Using my Apex would be nice. With respect to flowrate, the Gyre are awesome and in my experience silent if ran at under 50%. It will be interesting to see how the IceCaps sound.

sk8ter20art

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently stumbled upon IceCap products. I guess they are made by Coralvue. I'm tempted to try their ATO that just came out. Anyone have experience with the brand?

Talking with a rep at macna, coralvue is a distributor/parent company of multiple brands. Reef octopus, icecap, and some others.

She said that coralvue has no "sayso" in the reef octopus brand as far as design, but they do in the icecap brand.

While thier products work pretty good for the price, my experience is they still have some issues to correct. They use quality materials but have seen several parts (valve handle) on the skimmers come loose because they didn't use enough glue/solvent. I was able to correct these issues because I had the solvent on hand.

The k2-50 skimmer is really good for all-in-one tanks, will fit in a 4in space.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the icecap ATO looked very similar to the coralvue smart ATO which I have and not very happy with it. I wonder if icecap just rebranded it?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my admittedly limited years of experience I've seen lots of ATO ideas, from a DIY pair of float switches to the Tunze Osmolator 3155. Although there is room for improvement, I don't think anyone has done better than the 3155. There are a lot of tough price decisions in this hobby, but ATO is one thing that can ruin everything if it goes wrong.

sk8ter20art

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using 2 float switches and the basic low voltage ato kit from auto topoff.com. it let's you use any 120v pump but only uses 12v to run through the float switches. They are mounted in series, at the same height. One is facing down to break the circuit if the topoff container is empty and saves my pump, the other is upright to stop the overfill.

No issues in 3 years.

I do not like the hydor ato. Floating fish bags set off the high level alarm, or when you have an arm in the tank to clean it.

54LPP-2AY_BLACK.jpg

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the Icecap 36XL sump. I've never seen a sump build with every single thing I needed in it. I plan to use this now and for many upgrades. Best part I have a 12 gallon H2O reservoir which i can convert into a frag tank if wanted.

20170214_224247.jpg

20170214_224221.jpg

20170214_224139.jpg

20170214_224103.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back