What's the deal with my return pump?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a strange issue with my main return pump. I'm getting very low flow out of it. I noticed this before I took my tank down for the reboot, but just assumed there was gunk in the plumbing somewhere. Fast forward to today and I have water flowing again (shhhh! don't tell, I'm working on my reboot build thread), but still very slowly. This pump worked just fine when I got it new, but it seems to have lost its power.

It is an Atmann PH-2500 and it came with my tank. I can't seem to locate a regular impeller for it, only needle wheels. My only guess is a swollen impeller, but it still runs so I have my doubts about that.

I have a QuietOne 4000 that I may just swap this one out for, but I'd need to go to get some parts to adapt the 1" output down to 1/2".

Any thoughts?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The only reference to a atman 2500 I can find is the one used for skimmers.
I found a thread that said something about it being fazed out back in 2013.
I think it was the original pump for my SSA CS1 skimmer.

Going from a 1" out to a 1/2" out, the flow is going to be reduced, but if it's just sitting on the shelf.
Why not?

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Going from a 1" out to a 1/2" out, the flow is going to be reduced, but if it's just sitting on the shelf.
Why not?
I agree. I would go ahead and swap out or order a new jump (or buy used)

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why not?
It came with my SCA tank. I’m not surprised it was repurposed from elsewhere.

I’m not too concerned about the reduction in flow on the QuietOne. It will still be heaps better than the trickle I have right now :)

Guess I’m heading to the store!

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came with my SCA tank. I’m not surprised it was repurposed from elsewhere.

I’m not too concerned about the reduction in flow on the QuietOne. It will still be heaps better than the trickle I have right now :)

Guess I’m heading to the store!

The newer Quiet One pumps are the "Pro" model. I would suggest some sort of vibration reduction (if you need it), as the pump is basically flat with tiny, hard little feet. I own 2 of the 4000's for my rodi reservoir.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The newer Quiet One pumps are the "Pro" model. I would suggest some sort of vibration reduction (if you need it), as the pump is basically flat with tiny, hard little feet. I own 2 of the 4000's for my rodi reservoir.
Yep, it is an older one. Probably 7 years old at this point. I didn’t have noise issues with it in the past but you never know :) How do you insulate them from the glass?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it is an older one. Probably 7 years old at this point. I didn’t have noise issues with it in the past but you never know :) How do you insulate them from the glass?

A simple silicone mat works. The type to air dry dishes on. The brand "Oxo Good Grips" (or Oxo) is the one BRS sells but you can usually find it cheaper in a local Walmart or some place similar.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wound up having enough parts laying around to make it work. The pump comes with a 1” -> 3/4” hose adapter. I had a bunch of 3/4” flex hose. Then I cannibalized the hose from the old pump for the 3/4” hose -> 1/2” threads. And done!

So much better now! The pump is dead silent but I might grab some of those mats in case that changes and for my noisy skimmer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back