What's the difference between a Indophyllia macassarensis or a Cynarina ?Are the scientist Wrong?

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Who’s Wrong?
So we spent some time looking this up and apparently Indophyllia macassarensis is a hobby name.
Reef Builders Article- https://reefbuilders.com/2019/05/22/indophyllia-macassarensis-not-really-a-donut/

The true name as the scientific community is considered is a Cynarina

For those who are not familiar with what coral we are talking about we have a photo of both.
Happy to here some discourse on this topic but let’s make sure we keep it civil and scientifically accurate

Let me know what your thoughts are in the comments below
My thoughts

I personally believe that it resembles an acanthophyllia aka meat coral

What are your thought on this ?

Size is around 6-8in in diameter
Indoph11x14 copy.jpg

VS
Cynarina
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know, for the second time today I’m saying that I’m not a taxonomist, but in Corals of the World, its called Indophyllia macassarensis, and the species picture they have matches the coral in the photos in the article almost exactly. What source says that it is a Cynarina?

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know, for the second time today I’m saying that I’m not a taxonomist, but in Corals of the World, its called Indophyllia macassarensis, and the species picture they have matches the coral in the photos in the article almost exactly. What source says that it is a Cynarina?
WoRMS.
COTW is good for referencing what a species looks like, but it is outdated in taxonomic nomenclature. COTW still uses skeletal macromorphology to classify corals, which may not produce entirely accurate results. Most of the scientific community these days use genetic analysis, along with other methods. Also, from what I know, some scientists do not recognize cynarina/indophyllia macassarensis as a valid species, and regard it as a synonym of c. lacrymalis.

afcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reminds me of Trachys and Wellsos.....turned out to be the same

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back