What's the difference

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides controllability, what is the difference between the $20-60 powerheads and return pumps in Amazon and those $500-600 ones everyone recommends?

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I cheaper out on a $20 "500gph" return pump on Amazon. Maybe it moves that much when it's submerged with no plumbing attached but when it has to pump water 3' up to my tank it drops to maybe 100gph.

Guess who has to buy a second pump.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed ! How fat is the wallet . I buy mid range stuff . Now I have a pricey/dependable return pump but inexpensive wave makers.

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of buying knock off amazon return pumps and power heads when I first started.
Paid for it when it shocked me into the next dimension.
Do yourself a favor and buy trusted equipment.
Doesn’t have to be anything super fancy. I ran jebao for a few years with very little problems. As with any equipment, they do require regular maintenance to keep them going long term.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had a lot (A LOT) of problems with electricity leakage - with the cheaper powerhead - even sometimes after a couple months. Also the controllability of the more expensive versions....?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some power heads have a cord in the tank.
Some convert 120 to DC . Usually the more expensive ones.
Others are 120V and that cord is in your tank. The cord seals usually fail in a short period of time. Not good.
Return pumps are a hit or miss on the cheap side. Jebao's - people have pretty good luck with them.
Usually the cheaper ones do not last as long as more expensive ones. Cheaper bearing and seals. They can make more noise. They also can generate more heat and require cleaning more often because of design flaws.

Dpate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it comes down to controllability. Also,my favorite reef keeping saying..... “buy cheap,buy twice”

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Besides controllability, what is the difference between the $20-60 powerheads and return pumps in Amazon and those $500-600 ones everyone recommends?

Reliability is a big things for both return pumps and power heads. In fact, I had an electrical leakage issue this weekend from a bargain power heads (no losses but I wasn't pleased). Noise, flow adjustability, and spread are additional benefits of better power heads.

For AC-powered return pumps I have had very good luck with Danner mag pond pumps for around $100 or a little more based on GPH (I currently use them on multiple tanks and they have lasted a long time). That said, the ability to control a DC-powered pump by reducing power instead of restricting the outbound flow of an AC pump would be nice.

If a vendor (e.g., Jabao, Sicce, Innovative Marine, EcoTech, etc.) would like to send me a better pump for evaluation and a related write-up then they can PM me directly and I will gladly reconsider my opinion. ;Happy

Back